PDA

View Full Version : NLA or RLA or neither ?

trogg
13-03-2009, 12:41 PM
OK, I know this question has been asked a number of times.

I was just comparing the two groups and decided on joining the NLA, but it doesn’t seem to have a forum like the RLA, so now I’m not so sure.

The problem is I have a lot of questions I’m going to be asking, and a forum would be ideal.

So, should I join the RLA, and enjoy the forum, or
Join the NLA and keep pestering you lot on here ?

:)

yaf201
13-03-2009, 12:50 PM

I was just comparing the two groups and decided on joining the NLA, but it doesn’t seem to have a forum like the RLA, so now I’m not so sure.

The problem is I have a lot of questions I’m going to be asking, and a forum would be ideal.

I joined the NLA instead of the RLA because the NLA has an active local group and the RLA doesn't. Being able to speak to and learn from more experienced landlords has helped me a great deal.

A forum would be a good idea, I'll raise it at our next local NLA meeting

Ericthelobster
13-03-2009, 13:52 PM
Join the NLA and keep pestering you lot on here ?I'm an RLA member but their forum is rubbish (simply because few people use it)- I hardly ever use it myself and always use the Landlordzone one.

I do think the RLA is certainly worth joining but don't know anything about the NLA so can't compare their relative worth: however all I'd say is don't make the RLA's forum enter into your buying decision!

Paragon
13-03-2009, 14:03 PM

What were the factors that prompted you to join the NLA over the RLA? I have to make the same decision.

sherifffatman
13-03-2009, 15:40 PM
just a couple of points on making a decision -
NLA involved with mydeposits as stakeholders
RLA support LLs in fighting restrictive Housing Act postulations...

main reasons to consider are access, lobbying strength & direct support
Not a member of NLA so can't comment but RLA have been of massive assistance in various LL & legal matters and they meet not far from my house :)

Paul_f
13-03-2009, 17:43 PM
There were moves last year to amalgamate the two organisations and there has been an almighty row between the two factions I understand. There was definitely a power struggle.

Bel
13-03-2009, 19:05 PM
I'm an RLA member but their forum is rubbish (simply because few people use it)- I hardly ever use it myself and always use the Landlordzone one.

I do think the RLA is certainly worth joining but don't know anything about the NLA so can't compare their relative worth: however all I'd say is don't make the RLA's forum enter into your buying decision!

I was an RLA member. You can get advice through the forum from the RLA bloke, if you prefer that method to telephone. You have to press the right button to get their response or it will go unnoticed.

I decided to give my money to Landlordlaw this year. Tessa Shepperson (solicitor) will answer your questions on the forum. But there is no networking as with NLA.

trogg
15-03-2009, 07:23 AM
thank you all for your replies,

The main reason for joining the NLA was quite simply, they are the biggest.
The idea being that there will be more resources and I am more likely to come across somebody In the same situations as me.
Both have good discounts on insurance etc, with that alone it should pay for itself.
Not sure about Landlordlaw, haven’t had enough feed back as of yet.
So, I think I’ll join the NLA this time and maybe try the RLA next year.

susanne
15-03-2009, 07:56 AM
NLA had a forum earlier on this year - but it seemed to be peoplef mainly by a small group of utter plonkers - i think the forum has been pulled

whats wrong with this forum ?

NLA local meetings are very useful - in my area we have one every month in 2 different venues - one day time one evening - so anyone can go - most useful for keeping up with the latest regs. Most of the meeting is open to all landlords and then the final part for members only

NLA legal helpline is very helpful also

mind the gap
15-03-2009, 08:32 AM

Just keep pestering us, trogg. We don't mind! :)

johnboy
15-03-2009, 09:32 AM
What about www.all4landlords.com

I think you will find they offer just as much if not more.

Preston
15-03-2009, 09:42 AM
Both have good discounts on insurance etc, with that alone it should pay for itself.

Hi

I've often wondered about this. I often find with insurers, for example, that there is room for negotiation anyway, so do you think this is really true? How much discount do you get through membership of these bodies?

Preston

susanne
15-03-2009, 12:03 PM
the discount i got on one property's insurance well covered the fees of joining NLA

Bel
15-03-2009, 12:35 PM
whats wrong with this forum ?

Ask agent46.

Bel
15-03-2009, 12:36 PM
What about www.all4landlords.com

I think you will find they offer just as much if not more.

I like their moto:

"We are to the landlord what the RAC is to the motorist..." The first emergency service for landlords

susanne
15-03-2009, 12:44 PM
all4landlords has a 2007 comparison list as to what resources each of 4 different landlords associtions offer new customers - its waaaaaay out of date for what the NLA offers - very unfair to rely on this data

trogg
15-03-2009, 17:05 PM
I’m even more confused now john’s posted another landlords group, that comparison table looks very impressive, although I’ll need to check if it is out of date like Susanne has suggested.

And yes, mtg, I’ll keep posting my questions on this site, to keep you on your toes.