PDA

View Full Version : illegal entry with a licence agreement

stanjan
13-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Hi

my situstion is that some students have come to me as they believe that University staff (halls of residence wardens) have entred their rooms when they havent been in and they havent given notice that they were going to enter.

I am not too familiar with Licence agreements but i know that the students have much less rights than somebody on an AST, even so is this permitted?

Thanks

Bel
13-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Why have they come to you?

Fiirst off, they should check the accomodation agreement for T & C's.

Suggest next they have a word with their accomodations office/Student Union who may raise a query on their behalf.

theartfullodger
13-03-2009, 10:26 AM
What makes them say that?? Evidence a cleaner came in (I'd be happy with that) or something more worrying.

I'd start by reading the tenancy/whatever it is agreement & see what the authorities have said they will do.

It wasn't an "emergency" repair issue was it (eg water leaking) - think for that it is accepted Landlord can get in to protect tenant and his interests..

Cheers!

Artful

stanjan
13-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Hi sorry i will try to explain more clearly.

I work in the Students Union but i am new to the post and still training. Unfortunately I am the only advisor in the office till next Thursday.

Student came to see me are they have received a letter telling them they are to be evicted in 5 days. They have a meeting with the University as they claim they are being treated unfairly and one of the points raised by the students is that the warden has entered their room (on more than one occasion) when there wasnt an emergency.

So two thing really

1. the issue of entering the room
2. eviction with only 5 days notice - even on basic rights

Poppy
13-03-2009, 11:04 AM
From the agreements signed by the students, please quote the relevant clauses regarding:

entering students' rooms
giving notice to re-possess

I think when you locate and read those clauses, you will have your answer.

Bel
13-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Hi sorry i will try to explain more clearly.

I work in the Students Union but i am new to the post and still training. Unfortunately I am the only advisor in the office till next Thursday.

Student came to see me are they have received a letter telling them they are to be evicted in 5 days. They have a meeting with the University as they claim they are being treated unfairly and one of the points raised by the students is that the warden has entered their room (on more than one occasion) when there wasnt an emergency.

So two thing really

1. the issue of entering the room
2. eviction with only 5 days notice - even on basic rights

You need to refer to the agreement.

I feel that the room entering issue is a smoke screen; the occupant is grasping at straws, unless there is real harrassment involved.

Is this a case of non payment of rent or anti social behaviour?

Due to the time frame, I suggest you either:
1) get proper legal advice on this which will cost the SU money,
2) contact the SU of another uni with more experience,
3) or just send them to Citizens Advice.

Don't give advice that you can not be sure of. Do not rely on this forum for starters.