PDA

View Full Version : Gas issues

99sc1610
12-03-2009, 18:14 PM
A friend is renting a HMO and has had a number of problems. I inspected the house myself today and found the LL has not issued a gas certificate for the boiler and in fact, the boiler is within an occupied bedroom. I understand that this may be a breach of 1998 regulations

what can he do?

Ericthelobster
12-03-2009, 19:12 PM
A friend is renting a HMO and has had a number of problems. I inspected the house myself today and found the LL has not issued a gas certificate for the boiler and in fact, the boiler is within an occupied bedroom. I understand that this may be a breach of 1998 regulationsThere's absolutely no reason in principle why a boiler shouldn't be installed in a bedroom, provided various requirements are met (which is likely eg unles the boiler's a very old one). There's a boiler installed in the wardrobe of one of my properties, and it's never given any cause for concern to any of the CORGI engineers who've checked it or to any of the tenants who've lived there.

Of course the gas certificate is needed and unless the LL responds to a prod and commissions one pronto, a phone-call to Environmental Health might be in order.

99sc1610
12-03-2009, 20:43 PM
Thanks for your reply. I had looked at the 1998 regulations and found this

" (11) Every landlord shall ensure that in any room occupied or to be occupied as sleeping accommodation by a tenant in relevant premises there is not fitted a relevant gas fitting of a type the installation of which would contravene regulation 30(2) or (3) of these Regulations."

A 'relevant gas fitting' includes a boiler.

Any further ideas anyone?

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1998/98245104.htm#36

Ericthelobster
12-03-2009, 21:22 PM
Thanks for your reply. I had looked at the 1998 regulations and found this

" (11) Every landlord shall ensure that in any room occupied or to be occupied as sleeping accommodation by a tenant in relevant premises there is not fitted a relevant gas fitting of a type the installation of which would contravene regulation 30(2) or (3) of these Regulations."

A 'relevant gas fitting' includes a boiler.

And have you also read sections 30(2) and (3)...?

Exactly.

99sc1610
12-03-2009, 21:28 PM
yes i have read both these sections. The boiler is above the 14kilowatt

Ericthelobster
12-03-2009, 22:43 PM
But did you also spot "unless the appliance is a room-sealed appliance"?

That refers to the vast majority of (if not all) modern boilers