PDA

View Full Version : Broken fridge

thevaliant
12-03-2009, 13:55 PM
I have a work friend who lives in rented accomodation.

There is a fridge that was in the property when he moved in. It is noted on the opening inventory.

This fridge has broken down two weeks ago, and despite repeated requests by my friend, the landlord has not effected repairs. He is presently living on ready meals purchased that day, which is neither healthy nor particularly economical in the longer term.

What steps can he take to get the landlord to effect repairs OR
Is he justified in witholding an element of rent and effecting repairs himself?

Any advice gratefully received. Thank you.

mind the gap
12-03-2009, 14:29 PM
I have a work friend who lives in rented accomodation.

There is a fridge that was in the property when he moved in. It is noted on the opening inventory.

This fridge has broken down two weeks ago, and despite repeated requests by my friend, the landlord has not effected repairs. He is presently living on ready meals purchased that day, which is neither healthy nor particularly economical in the longer term.

What steps can he take to get the landlord to effect repairs OR
Is he justified in witholding an element of rent and effecting repairs himself?

Any advice gratefully received. Thank you.

I think a fridge is an essential, not a luxury, so I would say : advise LL that unless he contacts within 7 days to explain the arrangements he has made for a repair/replacement, T will source another of same age/quality and deduct cost from next rent payment until LL reimburses.

T should then do that, but keep all receipts. Note he cannot justify buying a brand new fridge; he should check first whether a repair is feasible and economic.

PaulF
12-03-2009, 15:44 PM
Surely as fridges are not expensive then a new one might be in order especially as it needs to comply with the CE regs? Trying to source a used replacement won't necessarily save that much.

Paragon
12-03-2009, 16:28 PM
So tell us, what did the LL say in response to the request? He must have said something.

mind the gap
12-03-2009, 17:04 PM
Surely as fridges are not expensive then a new one might be in order especially as it needs to comply with the CE regs? Trying to source a used replacement won't necessarily save that much.

I agree that new fridges are nicer and don't smell like old ones, but to buy a new one without LL's permisison would classed as betterment which is not permissible, is it.

If the broken fridge was quite old when T moved in and cannot be repaired, he is strictly speaking only allowed to replace it with another one in similar condition - and these can be got very cheaply, through small ads etc.

The other alternative is to wait for LL to act - you never know, he may be minded to provide a new one - but OP might have a long wait and he needs a fridge!

thevaliant
12-03-2009, 21:37 PM
So tell us, what did the LL say in response to the request? He must have said something.

He has said that he will repair the fridge. But so far, according to my friend, he has not and, judging by the way he is (disinterested, except where money is concerned) I suspect he will be a long time waiting.

mind the gap
12-03-2009, 21:41 PM
He has said that he will repair the fridge. But so far, according to my friend, he has not and, judging by the way he is (disinterested, except where money is concerned) I suspect he will be a long time waiting.

I think he is probably uninterested, rather than disinterested.

In that case your friend would be justified in instructing a domestic appliance repair person to check it out (preferably not someone who also sells new fridges!); & if mendable, mend it, if not, replace it and deduct from rent. (Advise LL first of all this, as suggested above).

Tell him not to throw the old one out untill Ll has been offered chance to re-claim it though - some LLs get very stroppy about their junk.