PDA

View Full Version : H/Ass. Assured Tenancy - service charge

EPalmer
12-03-2009, 10:48 AM
My friend has a housing association assured tenancy and has just received a letter to say the service charge is being increased from around £8 a month to £80 a month. She has no breakdown of the service charge accounts nor any indication of the reason for such an increase. The letter quotes a help line number which she has rung and simply been told she has to fill in a compliants form to challenge the increase. They will not discuss it further and have not replied to her original letter asking for the reason for such an increase.

I have not read the tenancy agreement yet to see what the service charge should cover but I have told her to complete the compalints form and also ask for a breakdown of the previous 12 months service charge which they must provide. She has never received a break down of service charges before!

There are about 10 houses who have all received this increase and they have been advised (by a resident adviser?) to just pay the old service charge until the matter is resolved. I am not sure they should refuse to pay. They do not have communal areas, just small front gardens which is obviously part of their service charge, I am wondering what else it could cover?

Is there anything more she should be doing at this stage.

Many thanks for any advice.

Elaine

EPalmer
12-03-2009, 11:19 AM
She is I believe a long leaseholder under an assured tenancy. It is a housing association property with DominionA2 in Middlesex.

jeffrey
12-03-2009, 11:25 AM
No- either she is:
a. a long-leaseholder (e.g. registered as owner of lease for 99yrs.); or
b. an assured tenant, under a Housing Act- 1985 or 1988, most likely, but which?

EPalmer
12-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Sorry, she is an assured tenant under a Housing Act, not sure which Act though.

jeffrey
12-03-2009, 11:35 AM
Sorry, she is an assured tenant under a Housing Act, not sure which Act though.
Look at the Letting Agreement. It should state which- and that may affect her rights of recourse.

EPalmer
12-03-2009, 11:38 AM
Many thanks, I will check the Agreement.