PDA

View Full Version : How can I challenge L's deductions from deposit?

juliet
09-03-2009, 11:00 AM
My assured shorthold tenancy has ended on Feb 11. I have recieved a letter via the letting agency from the landlord which he has signed and asking for a signature from me. This letter says that he has discussed with me and it has been agreed that he will withold over £900 of the deposit. I have done no such thing. However, I am at a disadvantage in taking this to dispute as he has not said what he is making deductions for. I have been in touch with TDS and they have told me that they only take one application towards the dispute and it must contain all the evidence needed to dispute the deductions. If I don't know what the deductions are for how can I make a case? The landlord will not communicate directly and the agents say it's nothing to do with them.

Paul Gibbs
09-03-2009, 11:33 AM
write to LL or agent and tell them you do not agree to the proposed deductions. Tell them to set out what the sums are claimed against, and to provide a full schedule.

Also write to TDS and tell them that matter is in dispute so they note their records.

juliet
09-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Thank you for your answer. This is pretty much in line with what I have found out since posting earlier. I have drafted a letter to the landlord saying that we cannot proceed until he has given us reasons and to say to him that I consider it unlawful for him to sign a document that says I have agreed to something when I have NOT!

I have talked to TDS again to clarify their time deadlines as I was worried about certain timeframes given for reply, but they have told me the the timeframes are only guidelines and that the actual deadline for a tenant to enter a dispute is 6 months.