PDA

View Full Version : T removed my property's kitchen units- reinstatement?

cobra1-uk
09-03-2009, 10:17 AM
my tenant as removed the kitchen units in my house (they were old,but still usable),the tenant is now moving,but refusing to put any kitchen units back,the original kitchen is now on the tip,:
1)can i keep the deposit,to part pay for a new kitchen
2)can i claim off the tenant for the rest of what it is going to cost me to replace kitchen
all help welcome and appreciated
thank you

house275
09-03-2009, 10:20 AM
:eek: did they give a reason ?
What an odd thing to do

You must surely be entitled to replace at their cost

SALL
09-03-2009, 11:14 AM
my tenant as removed the kitchen units in my house (they were old,but still usable),the tenant is now moving,but refusing to put any kitchen units back,the original kitchen is now on the tip,:
2)can i claim off the tenant for the rest of what it is going to cost me to replace kitchen
all help welcome and appreciated
thank you

You should be able to claim the cost of fitting an equivalent kitchen out of their deposit. Was there an inventory at start of the let?

P.Pilcher
09-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Did this tenant obtain your permission to replace these units?
When tenants do this sort of thing to me, I make it perfectly clear that when they terminate their tenancy the property MUST be restored to the condition in which it was before they did any work (usually impossible) or the new installation becomes my property. If the kitchjen is not restored by the tenant to the condition that it was in (less fair wear and tear) when he moved in, you are entitled to claim the cost of refurbishment from his deposit. I hope that you have an inventory to support your claim to the deposit holding establishment that you hve used.

P.P.

Ericthelobster
09-03-2009, 11:52 AM
2)can i claim off the tenant for the rest of what it is going to cost me to replace kitchenYou can't simply charge them for the cost of a new kitchen; you have to take into account wear and tear, and how much useful life of the old kitchen you've been deprived of.

It will be very tricky to work out and agree, but the calculation goes something like this (the figures used are just plucked out of the air, by the way, for the sake of example):

Cost of fitting brand new kitchen (of equivalent quality to old one) - £3,000

Life expectancy of original kitchen (ie, from new until routine replacement) - 15 years

Life left in kitchen when ripped out - 2 years

Therefore in this example you could bill the tenant two-fifteenths of £3,000, ie £400.

I expect you may have some trouble agreeing on the lifetime figures though...

jta
09-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Shouldn't the new fitted units now be part and parcel of the property? They are unlikely to fit exactly somewhere else. Why not try to do a deal with the tenants that the units stay in place and work out an equitable arrangement so far as the costs are concerned, That's always providing the kitchen suits you of course.