PDA

View Full Version : Evicted tenant - what to do with correspondence

RG1
08-03-2009, 09:08 AM
We just managed to get rid of a tenant who paid no rent. Moved in on forged references, forged cheques etc. Police are after him for various other "matters", they say.
Anyway, we keep getting letters for him, many labelled things like "Final Demand". I'm sure I should just put "moved" or something on them and send them back.
But what if these are demands of some type that may affect my property?
I'm sure I'm not legally able to open the letters, or am I?
Thanks!
Rick

Ericthelobster
08-03-2009, 09:52 AM
Anyway, we keep getting letters for him, many labelled things like "Final Demand". I'm sure I should just put "moved" or something on them and send them back.
But what if these are demands of some type that may affect my property?
I'm sure I'm not legally able to open the letters, or am I?Legally, what you're supposed to do is put them back in the post marked "Gone away - return to sender". There shouldn't be anything that affects your property, like a blacklist or something; any debts etc should attach to the individual and not the property.

However if you follow the above course you can guarantee that you ot your future tenants will be pestered by debt collectors and the like until kingdom come - the creditors will simply assume that the debtor has put the mail back in the post in a cunning attempt to fool them into thinking they've moved on, and will therefore ignore them.

Therefore practically speaking, if you have no forwarding address, in my opinion the best course of action is to 'accidentally' open any obvious letters from creditors (they are pretty easy to spot), then contact the creditors and explain the situation. That way you've a sporting chance they may get off your back sooner rather than later.

RG1
08-03-2009, 17:25 PM
Many thanks.
There have already been one or two visits from bailiffs (who left their card), so I'm very keen to minimise future hassle for tenants (hopefully more honest ones).

Incidentally this guy stole my sofa. When the police questioned him he said that he'd phoned my agent repeatedly for it to be taken away(!?), and when it hadn't been, he put it in the front garden. Someone else must have stolen it from there(!)
Cheers

mind the gap
08-03-2009, 17:57 PM
Many thanks.
There have already been one or two visits from bailiffs (who left their card), so I'm very keen to minimise future hassle for tenants (hopefully more honest ones).

Incidentally this guy stole my sofa. When the police questioned him he said that he'd phoned my agent repeatedly for it to be taken away(!?), and when it hadn't been, he put it in the front garden. Someone else must have stolen it from there(!)
Cheers

Did he phone the agent, and if so, what did they agent say to him?
Is the sofa on the check-in inventory?

If so, you can claim for the cost of replacing it - do you still have his tenancy deposit and is it protected?

RG1
09-03-2009, 09:06 AM
Thanks, no I was just giving an example of what this guy was like. You should have heard some of his "reasons" for not paying the rent.