PDA

View Full Version : Paid agency deposit and 1st month's rent, cant enter property! What can I do?

bissix
07-03-2009, 14:44 PM
I had a viewing at a flat a few weeks back and was just waiting for the references since one dropped out and I needed another, agency contacted me Monday to say landlord is willing to give it to me without the reference and I can move in Friday.

I was busy at university so went down during a hours break I had and paid the deposit of £300 and first months rent in advance.

I was given 2 keys but not told what they were for so I assume the front door and flat door but didnt get to the flat till about 5:05 pm and I could not enter the flat as neither key opened the lock, I phoned agency but they closed at 5pm and wont reopen till Monday!

I have 2 possible theory's there is 4 flats in the building but currently only 1 occupied as they have recently been refurbished so I either think that I have been given a wrong key OR that the tenants in the above flat have latched the front door to building.

I think this because I pressed their buzzer and got no reply, knocked on door loudly, then pressed buzzer again then tried different buzzers and knocked loudly again.

I had to leave but as I walked away noticed the curtains of the occupied flat move slightly and a gap in the corner appear and didnt go away till I went down the road.

Now what shall I do on Monday(as I assume there is nothing I can do) I expect to be reimbursed for the costs for accomodation for the weekend(since I have had to go to a bed and breakfast, or at least no rent for those days but worried about being fobbed off as I have a disabilty and I am a nervous person.

Shouldn't the agency bear the responsibility?

Preston
07-03-2009, 21:23 PM
I had a viewing at a flat a few weeks back and was just waiting for the references since one dropped out and I needed another, agency contacted me Monday to say landlord is willing to give it to me without the reference and I can move in Friday.

I was busy at university so went down during a hours break I had and paid the deposit of £300 and first months rent in advance.

I was given 2 keys but not told what they were for so I assume the front door and flat door but didnt get to the flat till about 5:05 pm and I could not enter the flat as neither key opened the lock, I phoned agency but they closed at 5pm and wont reopen till Monday!

I have 2 possible theory's there is 4 flats in the building but currently only 1 occupied as they have recently been refurbished so I either think that I have been given a wrong key OR that the tenants in the above flat have latched the front door to building.

I think this because I pressed their buzzer and got no reply, knocked on door loudly, then pressed buzzer again then tried different buzzers and knocked loudly again.

I had to leave but as I walked away noticed the curtains of the occupied flat move slightly and a gap in the corner appear and didnt go away till I went down the road.

Now what shall I do on Monday(as I assume there is nothing I can do) I expect to be reimbursed for the costs for accomodation for the weekend(since I have had to go to a bed and breakfast, or at least no rent for those days but worried about being fobbed off as I have a disabilty and I am a nervous person.

Shouldn't the agency bear the responsibility?

Hi,

I take it that there is no emergency number to contact them on - even if its a repairs contact number?

Provided there is no-one in the flat for which you have a tenancy, then you are entitled to force entry - if there is a repairs service maybe they can help you do this if you tell them there is a problem with the lock?

Preston