PDA

View Full Version : Infestation of Pigeons on our Roof.

montana
10-02-2009, 14:26 PM
Hi Folks,

We have an infestation of pigeons on our flat roofed Home. We wrote to the Managing Agents a couple of weeks ago complaining of this problem asking him to look into it for us. We also informed him that our Aerial had fallen down and would he also be able to fix/investigate this while checking out the roof area.

Unfortunately they rarely reply to any of our correspondence and regarding this letter it seems no different.

The birds are deficating all over the common parts area's including the stairway. The worst problem for us is them "cooing" above our bedroom windows now very early in the morning waking us all up.

We have no idea where they came from on mass, but its now got to the stage where it haa become a real nuisance.

Can anyone pls advise what we should do next ?

Thanks.

jta
10-02-2009, 14:35 PM
Why not take the advice Jeffrey gave you last month?

Paul_f
10-02-2009, 14:37 PM
I've posted only this week about infestation by vermin. The premises basically have to be defective if the problem lies with the L, so you need to see if you can locate the access point.

Instead of using defacate just say **** (as amended) or crap as it's easier to spell! I know you're only trying to be polite but it made me smile. :)

mind the gap
10-02-2009, 14:42 PM
Instead of using defacate just say s**t or crap as it's easier to spell!

What nonsense.

Easier for for you, perhaps! Some of us can spell 'defecate', Paul.

And I've never seen the point of writing a word using asterisks to replace some of the letters. Either use the word, or don't use it. If you think it's so offensive it needs 'disguising', then why use it at all? The asterisks do nothing to mask its meaning. If you think it is an appropriate word to use, then go ahead and use it. There is no need to be falsely coy about it.

Run. Or walk. Never wobble. (Japanese saying).

Paul_f
10-02-2009, 14:47 PM
Ah ha! I did look it up first, then deliberately misspelt it just to see if I could enrage anybody in a matter of minutes! It works!

mind the gap
10-02-2009, 15:05 PM
Ah ha! I did look it up first, then deliberately misspelt* it just to see if I could enrage anybody in a matter of minutes! It works!

*That seems unlikely.

And I wasn't enraged. I was bored.

Markonee1
10-02-2009, 15:07 PM
Strange how some sorrel tastes more bitter than others...

Try making some wooden shadows of birds of prey and laying them on the roof, or throw a dead cat up amongst the excretia, melena etc

montana
10-02-2009, 15:23 PM
l have no idea what faith the pigeons are, Sorrel. And l'm not gonna try being overly descriptive on that one again.

l don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers here.

l agree totally with you Paul, l do love using 4 letter words, and l can actually spell most of them 50% correctly. ;-]

Jta, l remember Jeff refered me to legislation which l don't fully understand on how a tenant inforces it.

Is it possible for us to get the aerial fixed oursleves if the LL doesnt respond and deduct it from the rent ?

From what Paul just said, the pigeon problem sounds a bit more complicated. We were hoping the LL might put up some metal spike strips to prevent the birds pirching and *pooing* over the edges of the roof, but, we have to get them to respond to our letter first.

bunny
10-02-2009, 17:33 PM
I'll leave the legal side to the legal eagles on here. I had a problem with pigeons at a property living in a passway and defecating everywhere (love that word!). We rigged up wires in the passageway. We had to play with the wire structure a bit for it work but they eventually got bored of trying to perch on the wires and went away. You need to find out what they like to perch on and make it uncomfortable by blocking it with the wires but they don't get the message straight away, it takes a while for "this isn't very comfortable" to sink in.

Meanwhile, I'd bought some metal spikes but I've never used them and I still have them somewhere.

Good luck

montana
10-02-2009, 18:41 PM
We live in masionatte which is 3 storeys high. l think we'll need to try and locate a pretty big ladder and some climbing gear to get on the roof, but, the metal Spikes/wire sounds like the solution, if, not to expensive to buy.

We might even have a couple of metal Spiked strips left over to make our own home made aerial.

Its got to the point where we don't see the point in even writing to the agents as they never even aknowledge receivng our complaints, and we have alot more serious housing issues with them than just pigeons.

montana
14-03-2009, 13:18 PM
Just an update:

Agents never responded to our emails and letters over the last 2 months regarding the Aerial and pigeon problems.
We employed a pest control company ourselves to install "lines & spikes" to roof area's above our bedroom windows, costing £150. They have just finished now. We are keeping our fingers crossed this will stop the pigeons from waking us up at sunrise everyday.
The aerial is still down but guy who installed the lines and spikes has given us the tel number of a guy he said could fix it for us cheaply.
if l understand correctly we should be able to at least recoup the money out of future rent regarding our costs to having to repair the Aerial ourselves.