PDA

View Full Version : Is an S.20 notice essential

Arl
07-02-2009, 17:26 PM
I have read on this forum that an s.20 notice should have been served before entering into an assured shorthold tenancy agreement. I am not sure what this notice includes, but read elsewhere that if the tenancy agreement starts after Feb 87, this notice is not necessary .... can someone please clarify, as i am confused thanks

mind the gap
07-02-2009, 20:51 PM
I have read on this forum that an s.20 notice should have been served before entering into an assured shorthold tenancy agreement. I am not sure what this notice includes, but read elsewhere that if the tenancy agreement starts after Feb 87, this notice is not necessary .... can someone please clarify, as i am confused thanks

It was necessary for ASTs commencing before 28 Feb 1997, but not after.

Therefore, unless you are a Time Lord, you don't need one!

Bel
08-02-2009, 15:39 PM

Therefore, unless you are a Time Lord, you don't need one!

Or if your tenant moved in before that date, you do need one to have been served prior to the commencement of the tenancy if you want to give notice via section 21 route

jeffrey
08-02-2009, 22:31 PM
Fuller reply: the Letting Agreement would be valid even if not preceded by a s.20 Notice. However, it would not be an AST. If it's capable of being within the 1988 Act at al, it would at most be an SAT (i.e. without the use of s.21 procedure).