PDA

View Full Version : Money owed

MrAngry
07-02-2009, 14:40 PM
My 6mth AST tenant left 2 weeks early(before contact end) with over £500 owed. Had been in arrears and was served a S21 notice over 2 months ago. Has left without leaving a forwarding address for, no doubt, hefty winter gas and electric bills and a knock on the door from me asking for arrears. House has some small repairs to do to put it right.
How do I stand for getting money back, do I have to go to a court and how much would it cost?
Has anyone had any similar experience?

jta
07-02-2009, 14:49 PM
The first thing is that you are not responsible for his utility bills, read the meters and inform the services that he has gone.

The court will normally let you serve a summons to his last known address, your property. That will enable you to get a ccj against his name.

Some members here know of good tracing agents that you could speak to.

At least you have the property back, be glad of small mercies! :)

MrAngry
07-02-2009, 14:53 PM
Thanks, I am happy to have it back but miffed about doing a runner owing money, do I just apply to the county court? Surely if theres no forwarding address how will I ever get my money, I am the one out of pocket

jta
07-02-2009, 15:04 PM
Are there any clues in his references, do you know his workplace, NI number, car license plate number, friends of his, where he drinks, use anything and everything, few people can just disappear completely.

jta
07-02-2009, 15:06 PM
Quick word of warning to you. Do not re-let the property while his contract is still 'live', if he came back for any reason it might give him a case for illegal eviction. Read a few of the threads about it.

MrAngry
07-02-2009, 15:24 PM
If i know where they work, how do i use that info?
do i now follow them to a suspected new residence and supply that info to court, OR is following them Harrassment?

jta
07-02-2009, 15:32 PM
I believe a court would allow papers to be served at a place of work, if you can find their new address by following them, do it, you do not have to speak to them do you.
Having said that, there are a lot of more experienced members here who will probably advise you. You are not the first with this problem, wait a bit, see what others say!

Ericthelobster
07-02-2009, 16:10 PM
If i know where they work, how do i use that info?
do i now follow them to a suspected new residence and supply that info to court, OR is following them Harrassment?Well, avoid any risk of that by not letting them see you following them! In any case, if they do spot you, they'll know why you're there and if they have any nows, won't let you follow them home, by either shaking you off or by going somewhere else instead.

Once you have the new address, nobody's going to worry overly about how you came by it.