PDA

View Full Version : Agency failing to renew lease.

Tigerbay
05-02-2009, 17:48 PM
I have had a short term letting agreement with my tenant for some years. However, the Letting Agency is failing to renew the lease and, incidently, failing to charge the usual letting fee each year. I have telephoned them a couple of times but have had no response from them.

I am considering writing out my own lease document but the latest one I can find dates back to 2004. Should I do my own or persist with my the agency?

mind the gap
05-02-2009, 18:00 PM
It sounds as if your letting agent has lost interest in you (and possibly in life itself). I would certainly not trust my business to anyone so inert.

Presumably the tenancy has now become periodic, in which case you will need to negotiate with your tenant if you wish to get back to yearly ASTs. Alternatively, you could just leave it as it is, although that means the tenant may end the agreement with one month's notice.

If you do want to issue a new AST agreement, the one available from the RLA is very good and is downloadable for £5, or free to members. It is worth getting a solicitor to check that it does everything you want it to do.

Tigerbay
05-02-2009, 18:37 PM
Thanks for your reply.

I would agree that this has now seems to have lapsed into a periodic tenancy. As far as I can see, the only slight disadvantage with a periodic tenancy is the fact that the tenant only needs to give one month's notice. All the conditions in the original aST agreement still apply.

If there are no other issues, it would seem fairly pointless spending time and energy changing things from as they currently stand.

Paul_f
05-02-2009, 19:43 PM
I agree. Have you increased the rent or even thought about it because that might be the main issue to consider?

Tigerbay
05-02-2009, 21:42 PM
Yes, I agree it is something which is worth looking at. I last increased the rent about 2-3 years ago - but I will check to see if the rate in still appropriate and also look at the level of demand in my local area.
Thanks.

jeffrey
06-02-2009, 09:33 AM
Yes, I agree it is something which is worth looking at. I last increased the rent about 2-3 years ago - but I will check to see if the rate in still appropriate and also look at the level of demand in my local area.
To increase rent on statutory periodic continuation tenancy, use s.13 of Housing Act 1988.