PDA

View Full Version : Notice period on "extended" tenancy

Lexy
04-02-2009, 22:35 PM
I rented a flat on a 12 month AST. Once the fixed term expired, I signed an addendum extending the agreement for a further 12 months, but with a 2 month notice period from both the landlord and tenant's side.

Hands up, I didn't read it properly, and assumed that there was only one month's notice to be given by the tenant, as would normally be the case on a periodic tenancy.

I have never come across this sort of addendum - my only experience is with tenancies which become periodic once the fixed term ends (in which case 1 month from tenant), or the signing of a new tenancy agreement once the fixed term expires.

Is my signing of an addendum stating it will extend the existing tenancy in effect creating a new fixed term tenancy agreement, meaning I have to abide by the 2 month's notice, or is the addendum merely creating a periodic tenancy?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Lawcruncher
04-02-2009, 22:39 PM
I think the answer to your question lies in your post:

I signed an addendum extending the agreement for a further 12 months

Lexy
04-02-2009, 22:43 PM
Yeeees, thank you for pointing that out. I didn't know whether one *could* extend the agreement, or whether one had to sign a completely new one for it to be valid. The law is not always so straightforward to the average layperson...

Lawcruncher
04-02-2009, 23:41 PM
Quite straightforward in this case. If you endorse an agreement: The parties agree that this agreement is extended for one year and sign it you get what it says on the tin.