PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Bathroom - bad tenants ?

amar
03-02-2009, 14:01 PM
Hi

I Let a property to a couple, using a housing contract.

they told me about the ceiling in the kitchen leaking from the bathroom. the leak doesnt seem to be coming any pipework, ive checked although the bathroom floor is always covered in water, from my previous experience i know how water can collect and gather on a plasterboard.

My fear is that the tenants are damaging the property by not using the bathroom properly.

this began after i showed some prospective tenants the house for the coming year around the property.
The current tenants then called me saying they dont want to leave and stay for another year. they pay very low rent as it is, hence wanting to stay, but im not keen on this idea, Both tenants are from africa and study at a university in the city

they informed me the leak had been going on for a while, which they didnt tell me about

I carry out replairs myself and see that the tenant are always home, they never seem to leave the property.

jta
03-02-2009, 14:40 PM
Hi

they told me about the ceiling in the kitchen leaking from the bathroom. the leak doesnt seem to be coming any pipework, ive checked although the bathroom floor is always covered in water, from my previous experience i know how water can collect and gather on a plasterboard.

My fear is that the tenants are damaging the property by not using the bathroom properly.

this began after i showed some prospective tenants the house for the coming year around the property.
The current tenants then called me saying they dont want to leave and stay for another year. they pay very low rent as it is, hence wanting to stay, but im not keen on this idea, Both tenants are from africa and study at a university in the city

they informed me the leak had been going on for a while, which they didnt tell me about

I carry out replairs myself and see that the tenant are always home, they never seem to leave the property.

If you think they are splashing water from the bath, explain to them that it would be chargeable if they damage the kitchen ceiling. Explain that they should mop up any splashes immediately.

Do they have no lectures to attend at the Uni. or do you suspect something nefarious is going on?

If you do not want to keep them, issue a S21 to tell them you want the house back at the end of their tenancy agreement. Read up on how to do it properly.

mind the gap
03-02-2009, 14:45 PM
Hi

If you are willing for your current tenants to stay, I suggest you lay a completely waterproof floor covering (i.e. ceramic tiles if suitable, or vinyl) in the bathroom so that the kitchen ceiling is less vulnerable. You may think they should be able to use a bathroom without leaving water on the floor but clearly they cannot. It's not worth trying to re-educate them; just circumvent the problem by better design. Then get the kitchen ceiling repaired and suggest they pay half, you pay half.

If you do not want them to stay you will need to serve them with a section 21 (Notice Requiring Possession) and follow the normal procedures for getting your property back.

The fact that they rarely leave it is not really your business! It is their home, (not a 1950s Bed and Breakfast establisment where the landlady expected residents to be out between certain hours!)