PDA

View Full Version : Which letter first: from solicitor or from debt collector?

sparkie
03-02-2009, 12:04 PM
Ok, really need some of the groups advice before I proceed in either of the above directions. Which would you recommend from experience will be the most effective course of action. I am chasing a tenant for unpaid rent who has abandoned the property. A tracing agent should be able to find them (as well a DCA).

So the question is, once the T is traced, which do you think will produce the best and quickest result, ie. getting the tenant to cough up. A letter from a solicitor, or one from a DCA?

Your views, opinions please. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rodent1
03-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Letter from you threatening use of DC would be my first move.

The Rodent

sparkie
03-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Letter from you threatening use of DC would be my first move.

The Rodent

thanks again Rodent.

The T stated that he had to fly abroad home for personal and financial/redundancy reasons. I now find out 2 months later that he's still in the country and still employed! So seems like he was lying all the time. And obviously could afford rent. How very shallow.

Are you suggesting I should trace him first to locate him and send a letter, rather than emailing him without knowing his location?

I was thinking going straight to DCA and getting them to locate and send him a letter to surprise him before he moves on or out of the country.

Do you have a standard letter that you use (a LBA I assume)

Rodent1
03-02-2009, 13:44 PM
Basically afew short lines giving 7,10,14,21,28 days etc to clear arrears (in cleared funds to prenominated acc) or case file will be passed to DC forthwith, also name DC and make it clear T will pay collection fees.

TIP
Call thornbury first they will give clear simple instruction at no charge and if it fails then just pass to them to pick up and run with.

Would strongly advise determining current residentail address, but as long as you have work address thornbury will work with this.

The Rodent

sparkie
03-02-2009, 13:52 PM
Thanks Rodent. Your help is greatly appreciated.