PDA

View Full Version : tenants leaving rubbish and food loose

ildigv
03-02-2009, 09:55 AM
Hello,

I live next door to a property that is being let to foreign workers. The tenants appear to have recently changed (1 week ago) and unfortunately loose food is being left in the garden and the bin not put outside for the weekly collection.

I’ve left a polite note in the post box 3 days ago but nothing has happened. My next step is to contact the landlord (I obtained address via HMLR as he did not give any details to anyone on our street).
Can anyone here tell me if local authorities can get involved in these matters if necessary. I don’t think this let is HMO registered and not sure if it needs to be anyway.
Also any opinions on how long I should wait till I write to the landlord. I don’t want to start a dispute but rats have been in the area before and leaving loose food does not help.

MrJohnnyB
03-02-2009, 10:01 AM
foreign workers

I fail to see how thats relevant!

No it doesn't need to be registered as assuming its an AST and as such AST's do not convey any legal interest in land. Make the landlord aware, and if necessary involve the Environmtmental Health/Control at your local council offices.

ildigv
03-02-2009, 10:14 AM
[QUOTE=MrJohnnyB;116372]I fail to see how thats relevant!

[QUOTE]

Have I stated its relevant?
Would you have questioned it if i wrote "British workers"?

MetropolitanAnthony
03-02-2009, 10:36 AM
Yes you can ring your environmental health department and make an appointment to ask for an officer to visit. He / she will be able to view their garden from your property and you can both go around to the neighbours property and try and speak to the occupants. Environmental health have a hazard scoring system and you can ask them to perform an assessment. The law ( I forget which one ) says that the environmental health have just as much right to perform a hazard assessment on private residential property as HMO property or restaurants etc.

If the property fails the assessment the officer can stick a notice on their door.

You can get your local councillor involved as well.

Sorrel
03-02-2009, 10:40 AM
[QUOTE=MrJohnnyB;116372]I fail to see how thats relevant!

[QUOTE]

Have I stated its relevant?
Would you have questioned it if i wrote "British workers"?

ooooh don't get people started on this bloody topic again. See;

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=16483

Best just to let it go, otherwise people take offence at everything and anything said that even borders on the remotely un-PC!

Cathroc
03-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Notify the Environmental Health dept and submit letter to your (their ?) LL as well.

Markonee1
03-02-2009, 15:57 PM
I fail to see how thats relevant!

No it doesn't need to be registered as assuming its an AST and as such AST's do not convey any legal interest in land. Make the landlord aware, and if necessary involve the Environmtmental Health/Control at your local council offices.

What's going on with this site recently? It's getting as bitter as an Epiphyllum forum I frequent.

It could be relevent Johnny...

Different cultures have different values...
I lived in Nigeria for a long time, and whilst many refer to the place as being a pit from hell, I had an interesting time. I made many friends, some with gold taps and others poor as can be, however, to find myself talking to well educated lass who suddenly squatted down and had a pee in the street, can be a little daunting, and I wouldn't expect it to be acceptable over here, but, in the absence of having a behaviour etiquette book for visitors, I can see it could happen with unintentional ignorance of 'our' ways.
Whilst there I also discovered that they have more naturally occurring identical twins than anywhere else in the world. I seem to recall it's 1:25! Also,IIRC they have more albino's than anywhere else. Thus they are biologically different to white racist whites over here too.
Visitors require time to acquire our wonderfully high standards, and comply with our council bylaws [I jest ]...

Rodent1
03-02-2009, 16:14 PM
[quote=ildigv;116375][quote=MrJohnnyB;116372]I fail to see how thats relevant!

ooooh don't get people started on this bloody topic again. See;

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=16483

Best just to let it go, otherwise people take offence at everything and anything said that even borders on the remotely un-PC!.

Awww come on Sorrel some people have got nothing better to do with their day ...and you want to deprive them of their little pleasures in life ?:D

The Rodent

ildigv
04-02-2009, 09:12 AM
thanks.

is the landlord legally responsible for his tenant behaviour?
I mean can the council fine the landlord for something like this.

jeffrey
04-02-2009, 09:16 AM
thanks.

is the landlord legally responsible for his tenant behaviour?
I mean can the council fine the landlord for something like this.
A local authority has statutory power to prosecute and (if legislation allows) to fine; but the person prosecuted/fined must be the person responsible for the criminal action alleged. L is not imputedly liable for T's offences.

ildigv
04-02-2009, 09:27 AM
thanks jeffrey.

Would a landlord subject to HMO be responsible though?

There is a couple and another guy sharing this property which is not hmo registered (at least the last time i checked).

jeffrey
04-02-2009, 09:31 AM
Would a landlord subject to HMO be responsible though?

There is a couple and another guy sharing this property which is not hmo registered (at least the last time i checked).
Even if the Council served L, that does not make L liable for another person's actions. L should simply redirect the Council to T, point out that T gave L an indemnity (clause in Letting Agreement), and invite the Council to whack T instead.