PDA

View Full Version : T's resided for many years- is that cause for concern?

shafty_bobs
02-02-2009, 23:18 PM
I have a tenant whose been there for a number of years and I used to do an annual AST but haven't done one for a few years. I take it the tenant is now 'periodic' and that I can issue s21 notice if I ever want to evict him if he stops paying rent? is there a max period for this 'period' - I hope the law doesn't make the tenant more secure if they have been there for X years??
thx for your help

mind the gap
02-02-2009, 23:24 PM
I have a tenant whose been there for a number of years and I used to do an annual AST but haven't done one for a few years. I take it the tenant is now 'periodic' and that I can issue s21 notice if I ever want to evict him if he stops paying rent? is there a max period for this 'period' - I hope the law doesn't make the tenant more secure if they have been there for X years??
thx for your help

You really do need to do some homework.

Yes, this tenancy has now become periodic.

If he stops paying rent you can issue a section 8 ground 8 once he owes you two months' rent.

Otherwise you can issue a section 21 notice giving him two full months' notice (requiring possession) - ensure the notoice expires on the day before a rent due day.

jeffrey
03-02-2009, 11:01 AM
I have a tenant whose been there for a number of years and I used to do an annual AST but haven't done one for a few years. I take it the tenant is now 'periodic' and that I can issue s21 notice if I ever want to evict him if he stops paying rent? is there a max period for this 'period' - I hope the law doesn't make the tenant more secure if they have been there for X years?
How many years? Did this T's first tenancy of this property begin:
a. before 6 April 2007;
b. before 28 Feb. 1997; or
c. before 15 Jan. 1989?

jeffrey
03-02-2009, 20:31 PM
How many years? Did this T's first tenancy of this property begin:
a. before 6 April 2007;
b. before 28 Feb. 1997; or
c. before 15 Jan. 1989?
Explanation, now that I've a little more time:
Those are the starting dates for (respectively) the 2006 Act's amendments to the 1988 Act, the 1996 Act's amendments to the 1988 Act, and the 1988 Act itself. Before them all was the infamous Rent Act 1977- so let's hope that it does not apply here.

Bel
04-02-2009, 11:17 AM
- ensure the notoice expires on the day before a rent due day.

Don't you mean expires AFTER ( magic word) the day before the rent due day, as long as the rent due day corresponds with the monthly period indicated by the AST ??