PDA

View Full Version : Where do you stand regarding picture hooks

Bel
01-02-2009, 22:35 PM
To all Landlords

Your AST probably says no picture hooks (without permission) or some such.

If you want to encourage a tenant to stay longterm, they are obviously going to want to hang pictures and even use blu-tack.

What is your policy; eg do you say NO NEVER, or only if your handiman fits them, or they can do it themselves but the wall must be re-instated afterwards which may mean filling and repainting the wall, using a decorator of your choice....??

Cathroc
01-02-2009, 22:58 PM
They can hang pictures on the wall as long as when they leave it is left as they found it. They can do the repair / decorating themselves or get someone to do it for them.

Rodent1
01-02-2009, 23:33 PM
As above making clear that little dabs of painted filler are NOT acceptable.
Also my charge to redec a room is £150 per room(if their attempt is not up to scratch)

The Rodent

jeffrey
02-02-2009, 10:03 AM
If you want to encourage a tenant to stay longterm, they are obviously going to want to hang pictures and even use blu-tack.
Why 'obviously'?

mind the gap
02-02-2009, 12:06 PM
Why 'obviously'?

Because that's what tenants do! It's the nesting instinct of all homemakers. The ones to worry about are the ones who don't want to put pictures up. They are probably just using your property to launder stolen money, or manufacture drugs.

But I think we've been here before...!

MetropolitanAnthony
02-02-2009, 13:49 PM
ok, here is my view. In my experience it depends on the condition of the plaster on the walls.

Some walls have very "tough plaster" by this I mean that an attempt to hammer in a picture hook results in a bent nail and a sore thumb and a chunk of plaster flying into your face and a ruined wall. I find these walls are best suited to blu tac.

Conversely, some older walls have softer older plaster which will accept a picture hook. Curiously these walls are the kind most susceptible to damage by blu tac.

Therefore, some walls are tac friendly, while others are hook friendly. Get to know your walls. In your agreement, prohibit blu-tac, or prohibit picture hooks accordingly.

mind the gap
02-02-2009, 15:37 PM
Therefore, some walls are tac friendly, while others are hook friendly. Get to know your walls. In your agreement, prohibit blu-tac, or prohibit picture hooks accordingly.

...always on the understanding that LL, not T, does the hammering -in. Otherwise, Sod's Law will ensure that T hits either a water pipe, or an electricity cable, within the first 5 minutes of the procedure.

jeffrey
02-02-2009, 15:39 PM
Them tenants: they want hangings.

jeffrey
02-02-2009, 16:41 PM
Other famous hooks:

Captain Hook
Doctor Hook
Hook of Holland
Hookleberry Finn
The Happy Hooker

mind the gap
02-02-2009, 16:53 PM
Other famous hooks:

Captain Hook
Doctor Hook
Hook of Holland
Hookleberry Finn
The Happy Hooker

Hook, Line and Sinker?

:confused:Why am I humouring you thus?

PI Guy
02-02-2009, 16:58 PM
I like picture hooks, they are good for hanging pictures on them. Isn't it just fair fair and tear?

mind the gap
02-02-2009, 17:17 PM
I like picture hooks, they are good for hanging pictures on them. Isn't it just fair fair and tear?

:confused:Was that a joke or a typo?

PI Guy
02-02-2009, 17:47 PM
lol, typo.

fair wear and tear