PDA

View Full Version : Can I withhold tenancy until DD has been setup by HB tenant

Tfish
01-02-2009, 15:54 PM
I am considering taking on a HB tenant (gasp) but I want to the HB paid direct into his account then into mine same day by Direct Debit. Can I withold handing him a copy of the tenancy until he knows when the payment will be arriving and has setup the DD?

He lives a few doors along so can setup the change while staying in his current accom

justaboutsane
01-02-2009, 21:25 PM
... and just because they set one up does not mean they will pay, they can cancel it very easily!

jeffrey
01-02-2009, 21:30 PM
For the difference between Direct Debit and Standing Order, see post #28 on http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=78.

Preston
01-02-2009, 21:33 PM
I am considering taking on a HB tenant (gasp) but I want to the HB paid direct into his account then into mine same day by Direct Debit. Can I withold handing him a copy of the tenancy until he knows when the payment will be arriving and has setup the DD?

He lives a few doors along so can setup the change while staying in his current accom

Hi, its not completely clear what you are trying to achieve here. If you just want to delay setting up the tenancy until you are satisfied that proper payment arrangements have been put in place, then you can do this. But as others have said, any payment arrangement can be changed or cancelled at a later date, so I think its much more important to focus on deciding whether they can afford the rent - although I am sure you have done this already.