PDA

View Full Version : Cancelling agreeement with renting agency

Flloydy
31-01-2009, 13:47 PM
Can anyone advise. I've been renting my property via an agency for the past 3 years to the same tenant.

I did sign an agreement at the time that stated I will continue to rent the property to the tenant placed by the Agency. I now wish to take on the management myself, therefore removing the agency. Yet the agency say I cannot do this as I signed the agreement, and that to remove them I'd have to remove the tenant. Is there anyway I can remove the agency without losing the tenant?

The tenant has been in the house now for 3 years, and in that time the rent has not increased. I did ask the agency about increasing the rent about a year and a half as I have to find funds to make up the difference on the mortgage, but at the time they said it wasn't possible. I don't want to increase the rent as I understand he wouldn't be able to afford, but thought by removing the agency it wouldn't be necessary.

Any advice.

PaulF
31-01-2009, 20:01 PM
You should really post this in the lettings agents questions forum.

All contracts must be capable of termination, so there has to be something in your terms of business (TOB) that allows you to do this. I doubt very much if your agent can hold you to the contract whilst the current tenant is in situ. Was it a 'let only' or a 'managed' TOB with your agent?

If you follow other posts on this subject in the other forum you will see that you have a contract with the agent (TOB) and you have another with the tenant (AST); the agent has no contract with the tenant.

You do not need to evict the tenant to terminate your agency contract.

Preston
01-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Can anyone advise. I've been renting my property via an agency for the past 3 years to the same tenant.

I did sign an agreement at the time that stated I will continue to rent the property to the tenant placed by the Agency. I now wish to take on the management myself, therefore removing the agency. Yet the agency say I cannot do this as I signed the agreement, and that to remove them I'd have to remove the tenant. Is there anyway I can remove the agency without losing the tenant?

The tenant has been in the house now for 3 years, and in that time the rent has not increased. I did ask the agency about increasing the rent about a year and a half as I have to find funds to make up the difference on the mortgage, but at the time they said it wasn't possible. I don't want to increase the rent as I understand he wouldn't be able to afford, but thought by removing the agency it wouldn't be necessary.

Any advice.

Hi

I think you might need to post a little more detail concerning your agreement in order to get advice.

Preston