PDA

View Full Version : Can I put a wedge under my flat door?

casleighmay
30-01-2009, 20:06 PM
hi all,

Next bit of drama with this rental- the man on the same landing with me in this converted house had his flat burgled. The front door wasnt broken although his door lock was so it was likely someone in the premises. The guy downstairs has many late night parties with many strange people coming in (and the police called on a few occasions) and happened to have one the night before the burglary.

Am I in my legal rights to put a wedge under the door? I am disabled and on my own every night and now Im scared. The landlord could still have access as obviously the wedge would only be in place when I was in the property. There is only one small standard lock on my door and I dont feel safe now.

jta
30-01-2009, 20:15 PM
There is no reason why you shouldn't, if it would make you feel safer. Give some thought to how anyone would be able to get in to you if you had a problem yourself inside the the flat, where you were unable to open the door to the emergency services.

Rodent1
30-01-2009, 20:17 PM
hi all,

Next bit of drama with this rental- the man on the same landing with me in this converted house had his flat burgled. The front door wasnt broken although his door lock was so it was likely someone in the premises. The guy downstairs has many late night parties with many strange people coming in (and the police called on a few occasions) and happened to have one the night before the burglary.

Am I in my legal rights to put a wedge under the door? I am disabled and on my own every night and now Im scared. The landlord could still have access as obviously the wedge would only be in place when I was in the property. There is only one small standard lock on my door and I dont feel safe now.

Why dont you request LL put more substantial security lock on your door ?
You can put a wedge under it but if you are unconcious/ill/fire etc emergency services will find it more difficult to get in to help you.

The Rodent

casleighmay
30-01-2009, 20:30 PM
Thank you both for reminding me of that, I hadnt of thought of me needing medical care. I am reluctant to ask the landlord to do anything for me as I already may have caused him hassle with the water rate problem Ive posted about before, I am trying to be a very quiet and good tenant. I havent even pushed the fact that I have had no hot water since October. I did mention it once and he said he would send someone but they just told me to turn the hot water switch on which I have on all the time and it still doesnt heat up. I was trying to pick a good moment to mention it to him again.

Maybe if I offer to pay for and have the lock fitted that would be fairer for him and then give him a key?

Cathroc
30-01-2009, 20:33 PM
If it makes you feel safer, put a wedge there - that can be done instantly. A stronger lock may help. Mortice locks are better than rimlocks. You could have a door chain put on for while you're at home but as has already been said, it would be harder in an emergency to get to you.

jta
30-01-2009, 20:41 PM
I have had no hot water since October. I did mention it once and he said he would send someone but they just told me to turn the hot water switch on which I have on all the time and it still doesnt heat up.

If that switch is supposed to turn on an immersion heater, then it's likely the element has burnt out. They are not that expensive. It is the duty of your LL to make sure you have the means to heat water. Try and see if the meter goes round faster when the switch is turned on, if it doesn't then the element has gone.

Cathroc
30-01-2009, 20:45 PM
Have just seen your last post. No hot water since October ? None at all ? You may as well speak to LL about both things at the same time as this needs sorting. You don't say what type of heater you have - is it an emersion or combi-boiler, as combi's are cheaper to run but take longer to heat the water. If it's an emersion, it sounds like it needs a new element and is simple to do. If I were the LL and felt a stronger or extra lock was reasonably justified then I'd put one in - it's my property at the end of the day and I'd be making it more secure.

casleighmay
30-01-2009, 20:53 PM
Thank you for the replies. As far as the hot water goes there is one boiler which services all 5 flats, the other 4 have hot water but I dont so it is possibly something electrical? I have mentioned it before as I said but the solution of turning on the switch did nothing and there has been no hot water whatsoever since October. Ive been trying to pick my moment to mention this as there have been a couple of problems previously such as the handyman letting himself into the flat while Im asleep in bed without any prior notice and I dont want the poor landlord to feel like Im on his back all the time. It is a warm flat so cold showers arent too bad, I just dont want to come across as a problem tenant.

jta
30-01-2009, 21:03 PM
It is a warm flat so cold showers arent too bad, I just dont want to come across as a problem tenant.

Good grief! It's still January. Tell your LL youNeed hot water.

casleighmay
30-01-2009, 21:18 PM
Ok I will do that, thank you. He is a very laidback landlord for the most part, almost too laidback so it tends to take a while before he takes action on anything. I would have contacted him again earlier if it wasnt for the fact that Ive been here 6 months and there have been several issues come up. Im torn between getting things done and making sure he doesnt want to me leave, being unwell the last thing I want is to have to move again. Last time resulted in a hospital stay and this is actually quite a nice flat really despite the problems.

Rodent1
30-01-2009, 21:19 PM
Thank you for the replies. As far as the hot water goes there is one boiler which services all 5 flats, the other 4 have hot water but I dont so it is possibly something electrical? I have mentioned it before as I said but the solution of turning on the switch did nothing and there has been no hot water whatsoever since October. Ive been trying to pick my moment to mention this as there have been a couple of problems previously such as the handyman letting himself into the flat while Im asleep in bed without any prior notice and I dont want the poor landlord to feel like Im on his back all the time. It is a warm flat so cold showers arent too bad, I just dont want to come across as a problem tenant.

No No no no no !
The LL has a legal requirement to provide hot water you MUST ask him asap to sort this out it is WHOLLY UNACCEPTABLE.
Ask him if it is okay to pop round to his house for a shower every morning,...just until yours is repaired !
The Rodent

bunny
30-01-2009, 21:20 PM
Casleighmay

If you don't have hot water, you are not being a nuisance tenant by pushing your landlord on this. It is a landlord's legal responsibility to maintain and keep in working order the heating and hot water.

I realise you may feel vulnerable in your situation about pushing the point but really you have been far too patient. Speak to your landlord about the water and the lock. The lock/added security may be a negotiable point but the hot water is not. Back your requests up in writing. If your landlord knows that you have no hot water then this is appalling but if he thinks following his advice that you have then you really need to inform him that his advice has not solved the problem.

I think you need to come back on here for further advice if your landlord does not repair your hot water soon if you have made previous requests and another request from you does not get a quick result.

casleighmay
30-01-2009, 22:02 PM
He does know, I told him at the time that turning on the switch has no effect and he literally walked out scratching his head and looking puzzled, that was back at the end of October. He possibly forgot? I will ask him again and thank you for saying that Im not being a nuisance. Before this rental I had lived in the same rented property for 16 years and the landlord was a friend by that time, I only had to leave because the lease ran out on the property as a whole. Im just never quite sure how hard to push things, yes hot water would be wonderful but at the same time I dont want him to think it would be easier to throw me out so he gets a quiet life.

Cathroc
30-01-2009, 22:40 PM
He's getting a quiet life because you have been faaaaaar too patient. Exert your right to hot running water. One boiler to service five flats is insufficient in my opinion. Sounds like you're at the end of the 'run' and the pump is not man (or woman) enough to get the water to you. Such a shame as you obviously like it there. Report this again tomorrow and back it up in writing because your LL needs a d* good shake-up. He's gotten away with it for far too long.

Mars Mug
30-01-2009, 23:01 PM
I agree with what others have said about the water, as for the door, these alarms are quite effective;

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=30579

mind the gap
30-01-2009, 23:16 PM
I agree totally with what others have said about your need to insist on LL fixing your hot water supply. He is breaking the law and abusing your goodwill. Do not worry about him trying to evict you because you make a fuss about the hot water - he is not allowed to do that.

And if you think about it, who would he get to move into a flat with no hot water? Nobody!

You are the most long-suffering tenant I have ever come across - but don't put up with it any longer!

Come back to the forum, or send me a private message if you want help writing a letter to your landlord to insist he sorts this out.

People on this forum are more than happy to help.

sherifffatman
30-01-2009, 23:20 PM
I'm not sure if it applies to flats in your situation but the Police do provide free door chains and other security measures for free to most who ask, providing you have permission to install it in a rented flat.
As to the lack of hot water, this is a breach of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 Section 11 -
to keep in repair and proper working order the installations for space heating and water heating
It is a really serious matter.
Definitely write to him asap then it is recorded.
Remember he can not evict you without notice and going through the correct channels which mean giving a proper reason not just because you requested something required by law!
Keep smiling :)