PDA

View Full Version : Tenant has drilled holes and added locks.

neveragain
30-01-2009, 15:53 PM
Me again,

the tenant has adde a lock to the front and back door without giving me keys. By adding these locks he has put holes in the doors.
Can I say this is criminal damage.

Cheers.

PaulF
30-01-2009, 15:57 PM
You can say what you want, but providing the tenant rectifies this before vacating there is little you can do. You can't prevent a tenant changing the locks.

jta
30-01-2009, 16:00 PM
Try to contain your anger with this tenant, fitting new locks to the doors is hardly going to be viewed as criminal damage, at the very worst, you could make him restore the doors to their original condition, or pay for new ones. Do as we have suggested and go through the proper channels.

While you are waiting for your Court date, may I suggest you attend a few classes in anger management. :cool:

mind the gap
30-01-2009, 17:16 PM
Try to contain your anger with this tenant, fitting new locks to the doors is hardly going to be viewed as criminal damage, at the very worst, you could make him restore the doors to their original condition, or pay for new ones. Do as we have suggested and go through the proper channels.

While you are waiting for your Court date, may I suggest you attend a few classes in anger management. :cool:

About the holes - presumably these are now filled with the new locks?
Or do you mean you can see through them? That'll mean a draughty hallway then. He'll soon stop them up, if he has any sense.

It might be a good idea to suggest to him that he leave a set of keys with a neighbour (if he is not prepared to give any to you) in case you or the emergency services have to gain entry in an emergency e.g. suspected fire or gas leak. Otherwise you'll have to break the door down and he may be liable for the cost of replacement.

Why won't he let you have keys?

mind the gap
30-01-2009, 17:29 PM
Why won't he let you have keys?

Actually...having just read your other thread, I understand perfectly why he won't! I'd barricade myself in, too, if I thought someone was going to come in and appropriate all my furniture. Wouldn't you?

neveragain
30-01-2009, 17:36 PM
Actually...having just read your other thread, I understand perfectly why he won't! I'd barricade myself in, too, if I thought someone was going to come in and appropriate all my furniture. Wouldn't you?

Surely you can see it isn't HIS furniture. It is my daughters who basically wants to move back into HER house.

I didn't realise that most people on here seemed to sympathis with people 'sponging' off others. If I were a fat cat landlord I could probably accept lots of the sarky unhelpful comments...like telling me to take anger management classes...unfortunatley I am just a full time worker who wants to get a lowlife out of his daughters house.

jta
30-01-2009, 17:47 PM
the sarky unhelpful comments...like telling me to take anger management classes...unfortunatley

That was not meant to be sarky, I meant it.
Go on the way you are and you are going to be in serious trouble with the law.
Every answer you've had on this has been meant to help you.
If you don't want to hear the answers, why ask.

jeffrey
01-02-2009, 21:31 PM
Surely you can see it isn't HIS furniture. It is my daughters who basically wants to move back into HER house.
Yes, it's your daughter's house/furniture. Letting her house furnished allows T to use both house and furniture, of course.

PI Guy
01-02-2009, 23:23 PM
Me again,

the tenant has adde a lock to the front and back door without giving me keys. By adding these locks he has put holes in the doors.
Can I say this is criminal damage.

Cheers.It isn't criminal damage.