PDA

View Full Version : Housemates want to leave after 4 Months of a 12 Month Contract

Princess Zelda
29-01-2009, 11:35 AM
Hi,

I'm new here, so sorry if this is a bit confusing...

Basically, at the end of September i signed a contract with two friends to move into a flat. The contract is a full 12 month contract with no break clause.

T A was made redundant earlier this month, therefore wishes to move home and rent out their room (illegally sublet)

T B is has the option to live with relatives close by, and therefore wishes to sublet the room.

Both A and B only want to rent out the rooms for 6 months - to save money - and then return to the property. I see this as too high a risk if done illegally (Slightly different if just one left)

What are my options?

Do i allow the to illegally sublet their rooms for the 6 month period - and live with Random people?

Can the names for their two rooms on the lease be changed? (obviously their is a fee involved) but at least everything is legal and above-board.

Can we change all names on the tenancy agreement?

Can we end the tenancy agreement? (Again a fee involved, which i would argue i should not pay as it is not my decision to be ending this lease)

Please Help!!

jeffrey
29-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Analysis:
1. All three of you signed a single joint-names AST, granted by L to you/A/B.
2. Each of A and B wants to sub-let (to AX and BX, let's say).
3. I imagine that they have not consulted L!
4. You are staying-on.
5. Even if they unlawfully sub-let, they (A and B) remain your co-tenants, jointly liable- with you- to pay whole existing rent to L.
6. You/A/B cannot change the Letting Agreement (e.g. to delete A, insert AX, delete B, and insert BX), unless L agrees; nor can any of you- alone or all together- end it during an existing fixed-term.
7. Please state commencement and length of existing fixed term.

rajeshk4u
29-01-2009, 15:58 PM
Also, if you find someone some other people, you have no guarantee that they will look after the place as your friends did.....

LandlordLee
29-01-2009, 16:02 PM
Best thing to do is contact the landlord and see what he says. he might be ok with it and leave you to find suitable subletters short term

Princess Zelda
29-01-2009, 16:08 PM
Will definitely have to contact the landlord, although this is through our property managment agency - so no doubt will take a while.

I have a feeling he will not be too happy though - the tenants before us left 2 months before the end of their 12 month contract and he was trying to get the extra rent off of them.

I understand that once you sign for 12 months you are obliged to pay the full 12 months rent - even if you choose to terminate the contract earlier? Is this the case?

For Jeffery: We started the tenancy at the end of septemper 2008, and the terms are 12 months no break clause.

Thanks for your help!

jeffrey
29-01-2009, 16:32 PM
I understand that once you sign for 12 months you are obliged to pay the full 12 months rent - even if you choose to terminate the contract earlier? Is this the case?

For JeffREy: We started the tenancy at the end of septemper 2008, and the terms are 12 months no break clause.
Yes, you are bound for 12 months once you sign a 12-month let- of course! The only exception is if it ends early.

The reason for my question about the fixed term is that it is possible to terminate a tenancy at the term's end or thereafter.