PDA

View Full Version : Before the LL beats me to it ...

elyobelyob
29-01-2009, 00:31 AM
I believe LL will pull a sharp one on me.

What can I do to pre-empt the difficulty with the Escrow company?

Thanks

Rodent1
29-01-2009, 01:17 AM
Which difficulty do you mean ...the one about askinthe right Q to get the right answer ?

The Rodent

elyobelyob
29-01-2009, 10:23 AM
No, I was wondering about writing to the Escrow company to pre-warn them that the LL was being a ****.

Still, thanks for your valid input.

jeffrey
29-01-2009, 11:14 AM
"Escrow company"? Are you perhaps in the USA? LandlordZONE is based in (and deals with) England & Wales only.

elyobelyob
29-01-2009, 11:17 AM
Nope, sat in Shoreditch .. .

Escrow .... Money, property, a deed, or a bond put into the custody of a third party for delivery to a grantee only after the fulfillment of the conditions specified.

Update : It may be an Americanism, but it's the word that's been bantered about so far by the agents and LL. Is the a UK term for escrow?

jeffrey
29-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Nope, sat in Shoreditch .. .

Escrow .... Money, property, a deed, or a bond put into the custody of a third party for delivery to a grantee only after the fulfillment of the conditions specified.
Yes, I understand what "escrow" means- but there is no such concept hereabouts as an "escrow company".
Did you perhaps mean to refer to one of the three companies that are involved with AST deposit protection?

elyobelyob
29-01-2009, 11:51 AM
AST deposit protection?

That'll be the one. The LL hasn't responded to my letters and I believe he will be attempting to get money off my deposit. I would like to attempt to block this before I just get a cheque for half my money. The flat was left impeccable after having lived there 3.5 years.

Ericthelobster
29-01-2009, 14:43 PM
The LL hasn't responded to my letters Could that be because he can't understand them? :rolleyes:

Sorrel
29-01-2009, 14:50 PM
That'll be the one. The LL hasn't responded to my letters and I believe he will be attempting to get money off my deposit. I would like to attempt to block this before I just get a cheque for half my money. The flat was left impeccable after having lived there 3.5 years.

Well you need to find out which deposit protection scheme your in first off. I would have thought you need to wait until he actually tries to deduct any monies from the bond before you dispute, i don't think you can pre empt a dispute.

worzelgummage
29-01-2009, 15:15 PM
if you lived there for 3.5 years why do you think the money is in one of the deposit protection schemes rather than in te LLs pocket

elyobelyob
29-01-2009, 15:16 PM
I received a letter from the agents telling me it had been moved to one of these schemes.

LandlordLee
29-01-2009, 16:07 PM
Did you sign renewals each year or go periodic on the original tenancy on a month to month basis?

If you are still on the original contract it will not be protected.

elyobelyob
29-01-2009, 16:08 PM
Did you sign renewals each year or go periodic on the original tenancy on a month to month basis?

If you are still on the original contract it will not be protected.

New contracts every year.

SALL
29-01-2009, 16:11 PM
New contracts every year.

Are you still living at the property?

elyobelyob
29-01-2009, 16:17 PM
No, I handed my keys in early (15th Jan) with a note saying that I was surrendering my tenancy as the LL had entered the property without permission and notice on multiple occasions, despite me faxing to reiterate this clause in the contract. The property was empty since the end of December and my official ending date was two days ago.

I've heard nothing from the LL regarding my demand for early termination and nothing regarding the deposit.

My brother reckons there is a three week rule regarding returning deposit, and if no notice during this period then I will get the full amount back. So, I'm not keen to contact the agents just yet.

Rodent1
29-01-2009, 16:46 PM
LL cant just "keep" any of your deposit without good reason (documented) and your agreement. If you both disagree then it goes to arbitration or court to be decided.

YOUR DEPOSIT IS SAFE !

Request immediate return of dep and worry about any "deductions" IF they arise.

This is the whole reason that dep protection was introduced !

Do you have an inventory ?
Has it been signed by both LL/LA and yourself ?

The Rodent