PDA

View Full Version : Need to Break Fixed Term Tenancy

julie777
28-01-2009, 21:06 PM
We are tenants of a flat in a block of 6 but have always had difficulty with excessive noise from neighbours in the night (coming home drunk, slamming doors, shouting, karaoke etc). My husband and I now both have chronic illnesses and he cannot cope any longer with the lost sleep and stress caused by this problem. Do we have good grounds to break our fixed term agreement early and will we still have to pay whatever penalty the agents demand or is there a way of getting round that on grounds of hardship or health? The agents by the way have never fixed the lights which were broken when we moved in last June or followed through on repairs and cleaning in communal areas. Have they broken the contract?

(Annoyingly I cannot find our copy of the agreement but it seemed pretty standard)

Second question - Any advice on finding landlords who will be happy to let to a couple who, for the moment, are reliant on benefits? There seems to be a lot of prejudice out there.

Thanks in advance for any tips you can give me!

jeffrey
29-01-2009, 10:03 AM
You (T) cannot unilaterally terminate a fixed-term tenancy still running. You'd not want L to do that, either, were it not for your local problems.