PDA

View Full Version : Can I give notice on a 6 month AST?

linseyscott
27-01-2009, 23:34 PM
I signed a 6 month AST in mid October and have now found the perfect house for me and my family. I have requested a termination of my contract the LL but they are not willing to let me out my AST 1 1/2 months early? Can they hold me to this? My agreement states that I have to give one months notice in writing to the LL once 11 months has lapsed, how can I do this on a 6 month contract?:confused:

I really don't want to lose the house of my dreams.

SALL
28-01-2009, 07:38 AM
I signed a 6 month AST in mid October and have now found the perfect house for me and my family. I have requested a termination of my contract the LL but they are not willing to let me out my AST 1 1/2 months early? Can they hold me to this? My agreement states that I have to give one months notice in writing to the LL once 11 months has lapsed, how can I do this on a 6 month contract?:confused:

I really don't want to lose the house of my dreams.

You have signed a 6 months AST so you are responsible to pay rent for 6 months. The LL can hold you to it. Maybe try to offer the LL fees to re let his property.

PaulF
28-01-2009, 08:29 AM
In answer to the OP's question - you don't have to give any Notice to end a fixed term tenancy so any reference to a 12 months term when you don't have a 12 months tenancy is irrelevant (case of L not reading AST beforehand). Your tenancy however doesn't end for another (almost) 3 months and you are bound to pay the rent for this period. If you find a replacement tenant then you could approach the L for early release but he is not bound to do so.