PDA

View Full Version : Tenants responsible for tap washers?

Bel
26-01-2009, 14:03 PM
Just browsing and found info saying tenants should fix washers on taps and washing machine hoses etc .

Landlords do you hold tenants responsible for fixing tap washers?

mind the gap
26-01-2009, 14:07 PM
Just browsing and found info saying tenants should fix washers on taps and washing machine hoses etc .

Landlords do you hold tenants responsible for fixing tap washers?

Yes and NO.

Yes in theory. (They should).

No in practice. (They don't/won't can't).

PaulF
26-01-2009, 18:51 PM
Yes and NO.

Yes in theory. (They should).

No in practice. (They don't/won't can't).See ruling by L J Denning about minor repairs that are deemed to be the responsibility of the tenant.

mind the gap
26-01-2009, 18:53 PM
See ruling by L J Denning about minor repairs that are deemed to be the responsibility of the tenant.

Can you give the full citation please, in case anyone feels the urge to look it up?

PaulF
26-01-2009, 18:57 PM
Warren v Keen 1954

P.Pilcher
26-01-2009, 19:20 PM
If my tenant was a plumber, he wouldn't bother - if he was a competent DIYer and offered to do it I would say "Thank you very much" and otherwise I would consider it unreasonable for a tenant to be expected to do a job which required special spanners and wrenches, so I would do it myself.

P.P.

Bel
27-01-2009, 00:23 AM
See ruling by L J Denning about minor repairs that are deemed to be the responsibility of the tenant.

I don't think that tap washers are listed

Bel
27-01-2009, 00:24 AM
If my tenant was a plumber, he wouldn't bother - if he was a competent DIYer and offered to do it I would say "Thank you very much" and otherwise I would consider it unreasonable for a tenant to be expected to do a job which required special spanners and wrenches, so I would do it myself.

P.P.

Perhaps you could give me a masterclass then!

Rodent1
27-01-2009, 01:07 AM
Unless T was a plumber i would do it myself ....flooding can cause a lot of damage VERY quickly !

The Rodent

jta
27-01-2009, 07:27 AM
....flooding can cause a lot of damage VERY quickly !

The Rodent

Absolutely, The damage to the floor I had to renew completely recently through water damage, could have been avoided had the tenant simply looked for the leak, which was no more than a failed washer on the washing machine inlet.
It ended up costing him his whole deposit.

Lawcruncher
27-01-2009, 11:27 AM

Interested to know on what basis the tenant was liable.

There was a time when the Water Board would come and replace a washer free.

jeffrey
27-01-2009, 12:05 PM
That was when the Water Board existed- i.e. before 1973, from when HMG amalgamated Boards into Water Authorities (i.e. appropriated local authority undertakings without compensation) and later privatised them (i.e. kept the ill-gotten gains).

Paragon
27-01-2009, 12:58 PM
Absolutely, The damage to the floor I had to renew completely recently through water damage, could have been avoided had the tenant simply looked for the leak, which was no more than a failed washer on the washing machine inlet.

LOL Your tenant must have been a real wimp to agree to that!

Mrs Jones
27-01-2009, 13:43 PM

Golly - you must be older than I am....

Mrs Jones
27-01-2009, 13:44 PM
That was when the Water Board existed- i.e. before 1973, from when HMG amalgamated Boards into Water Authorities (i.e. appropriated local authority undertakings without compensation) and later privatised them (i.e. kept the ill-gotten gains).

Oh was that when they started flogging all our utilities to the French??

mind the gap
27-01-2009, 14:05 PM
LOL Your tenant must have been a real wimp to agree to that!

For the want of a washer, the floor can be ruined (and was, in jta's property as I recall).

Runied floors can easily cost the equivalent of a whole deposit to replace.

Mrs Jones
27-01-2009, 14:08 PM
A lot of modern taps don't actually have washers....:)

Lawcruncher
27-01-2009, 14:10 PM
Golly - you must be older than I am....

Didn't say I remembered it - though I do. I think the practice carried on when the water authorites came into being. Anyway it was the practice at some time in the 70's (and possibly later) so I am not that old.