PDA

View Full Version : Whom to inform before I grant my first let?

indiouk
25-01-2009, 10:51 AM
just bought a new house, nd i'm a little unsure who to inform prior to letting it out using an agent.
should i inform the council, water, gas & electric companies that i own it and plan to let in the future?
also during the letting period whose name will be on the bill's the tennant or mine?

Preston
25-01-2009, 12:49 PM
just bought a new house, nd i'm a little unsure who to inform prior to letting it out using an agent.
should i inform the council, water, gas & electric companies that i own it and plan to let in the future?
also during the letting period whose name will be on the bill's the tennant or mine?

Hi

If you do a search of letting agents websites you will find lots of good checklists for the novice landlord. It might be worth having a look through these and asking questions about the bits you don't understand.

The short answer to your questions above is tell them when you have let the property and the bills are best in the tenants name if its a single tenancy of the whole house.

Preston

jeffrey
25-01-2009, 15:13 PM
VITAL:
1. If it's mortgaged, you need consent from the mortgagee (lender). Sub-letting may be prohibited/restricted by the mortgage conditions.
2. If it's leasehold (house or flat), you may need consent from the reversioner too- depends on lease's wording.
3. If it's insured by you or your mortgagee (but not on reversioner's block policy), you should at least notify the insurer as it may have additional requirements.

indiouk
25-01-2009, 15:49 PM
it was a cash purchase, and i nearly have somebody lined up to move in, so do i hav to notify the council for tax and the gas, electric and water people before and the turn it over to whoever rents?

johnboy
25-01-2009, 15:57 PM
As soon as the tenant has moved in or before inform all the utility companies of the tenants full name and meter readings. Also inform the local council tax dept.

jeffrey
25-01-2009, 15:59 PM
Do I have to notify the council for tax and the gas, electric and water people before and I turn it over to whoever rents?
Depends. Who is to pay outgoings under the Letting?
If it's you, the Council etc. aren't affected.
If it's T, however, either:
a. you need account-holder's name to be changed to T's; or
b. you need to stipulate that T will pay you whatever Council etc. demand from you.
As there's no certainty that Council etc. will agree to bill T, I'd insert a suitable clause amongst T's obligations- to be on the safe side.