PDA

View Full Version : Must L supply oven in let property?

jimmymanvill
24-01-2009, 19:11 PM
do landlords have to supply a oven when letting a property?

Mrs Jones
24-01-2009, 19:16 PM
Do you mean a cooker (i.e. a free standing cooker) or do you mean an oven in a fitted kitched which has a separate hob?

Generally, you do not have to supply a cooker in unfurnished accommodation, but it would be unreasonable to expect a tenant to supply and fit an oven in a fitted kitchen which they could then not take with them when they leave.

jimmymanvill
24-01-2009, 19:21 PM
we have agreed to move end of feb and there is no form of cooker at all, there is room for a freestanding cooker, im just worried that when we move out in the future our next place might have one?

Poppy35
24-01-2009, 20:05 PM
generally most properties even when let unfurnished do come with a cooker whether freestanding or built in.

Perhaps you can negotiate with the L or LA about them putting one in for you?

stresshead
24-01-2009, 20:17 PM
we have agreed to move end of feb and there is no form of cooker at all, there is room for a freestanding cooker, im just worried that when we move out in the future our next place might have one?

In the last five years, we have moved from furnished to unfurnished and back to furnished again. We had to buy everything to move into the second place, then get rid of it all when we moved to the third. Luckily, current LL rents places as un/furnished and is happy to get rid of items (for a fee, of course ;) ) so we are hoping to restock our supplies and get rid of LLs stuff, slowly replacing it with ours.

You will have to either:
- successfully negotiate with LL for him/her to put in an oven
- make sure new place you move to is another place without an oven
- hope LL will remove oven in new place if there is one
- get rid of/store current oven if new place already has one and LL is not flexible

*EDIT* - when we bought our oven we had to pay to get it fitted by a Corgi registered guy which is a cost to bear in mind if you're going for a gas oven

jimmymanvill
24-01-2009, 22:29 PM
will contact landlord thankyou for your help

Mrs Jones
25-01-2009, 00:18 AM
You might also consider a second-hand cooker. I have in the past and it wasn't very expensive and lasted for years.

socrates
25-01-2009, 00:42 AM
I have just replaced a cooker for a tenant - I bought if off Ebay - 50% off the best price I could find on the internet. It was brand new, boxed, 2 year warranty and from an appliance shop and included delivery.

Its worth looking on ebay for this kind of thing and checking the prices against Kelkoo etc..

I would not buy secondhand cookers ever- very risky!!

Bel
25-01-2009, 18:42 PM
HMO regs state that LL should provide means to cook food in an HMO; which is 3 or more unrelated people sharing a home.