PDA

View Full Version : Tenants responsibility on leaving

redex
23-01-2009, 23:19 PM
Can someone tell me what are our responsibilities on leaving the rented property we are in?
We understand it has to be left in the same clean & tidy state it was in when we came. Thats fine.

We were allowed to put up pictures, bathroom cabinet, shelving etc but what do we do about the holes in the walls, rawl plugs etc. Do we just fill them in with polyfiller or are we expected to repaint.

The deposit business is a bit of a grey area, being new to this and our LL being trainees we aren't sure what they will try to deduct and why!

We unfortunately have been excellent tenants and have actually put more into the house, improving it than any damage we have done, but are the LL going to accept and see this.

Any advise would be appreciated.

mind the gap
23-01-2009, 23:31 PM
Can someone tell me what are our responsibilities on leaving the rented property we are in?
We understand it has to be left in the same clean & tidy state it was in when we came. Thats fine.

We were allowed to put up pictures, bathroom cabinet, shelving etc but what do we do about the holes in the walls, rawl plugs etc. Do we just fill them in with polyfiller or are we expected to repaint.

The deposit business is a bit of a grey area, being new to this and our LL being trainees we aren't sure what they will try to deduct and why!

We unfortunately have been excellent tenants and have actually put more into the house, improving it than any damage we have done, but are the LL going to accept and see this.

Any advise would be appreciated.

There's lots of advice we could give, but not all of it may apply. Please let us know:

When did you move in?
Has your deposit been protected in a scheme?
Was a thorough inventory check done when you moved in?
What kind of tenancy agreement do you have (AST, etc).
What does your tenancy agreement say about returning the property to your landlord when the tenancy ends?

redex
23-01-2009, 23:41 PM
We've been here 21 months. Deposit is protected and its an AST, there was a thorough inventory done when we moved in.

The tenancy agreement doesn't actually answer the questions i've asked here just to say it should be left how it was found.

Shame I can't leave the dirt and the soiled items I found, sorry, being cynical.

mind the gap
23-01-2009, 23:55 PM
We've been here 21 months. Deposit is protected and its an AST, there was a thorough inventory done when we moved in.

The tenancy agreement doesn't actually answer the questions i've asked here just to say it should be left how it was found.

Shame I can't leave the dirt and the soiled items I found, sorry, being cynical.

OK, thanks for the info.

Basically, it's as you said : leave it as you found it. However, if you signed an inventory to agree that the property was in a spotless condition when you moved in, then you will be expected to return it in that same spotless condition on exit. In case of a dispute, the LL's arm will be strengthened (or weakened) by photographs taken at check-in and check-out.

At check-out, ask LL for your deposit back. He should return it via the scheme within 10 days of end of tenancy, or tell you why he is disputing its return to you. If you don't agree with his proposed deductions, you have to apply to the scheme arbitration service and they will decide who's right.

You should repair any damage you have caused. This includes filling holes in walls and touching up paintwork (ask your LL for the make and colour - he may even have spare paint you can use). Remove all your stuff, even if you think the next occupants may want it. Believe me, they won't. The LL can charge you for taking it all to the charity shop/tip. Put furniture back where it was to begin with.

Get the utility companies to do final readings of elec/gas and get those in writing. Settle those bills promptly. Make sure you have paid all other debts eg council tax, water rates etc.

Clean the property - after you have moved out your stuff, if possible.

Make sure you return the keys by the last day or your LL can continue to charge you rent even after you have vacated.

Happy moving!

redex
24-01-2009, 00:26 AM
Thanks for the advice, helpful. If the LL doesn't have any paint or doesn't know what was used what do we do, that is what the problem is.

The inventory was quite specific and details were made of all the dust/dirt/marks etc so it was no where near spotless.
Bit difficult to return it to that condition, its only the painting bit I'm concerned about. Theres no way I want to be painting it all to cover the filler, it would then be in a better state than it was when we moved in, its less than a perfect paint job.

mind the gap
24-01-2009, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the advice, helpful. If the LL doesn't have any paint or doesn't know what was used what do we do, that is what the problem is.

The inventory was quite specific and details were made of all the dust/dirt/marks etc so it was no where near spotless.
Bit difficult to return it to that condition, its only the painting bit I'm concerned about. Theres no way I want to be painting it all to cover the filler, it would then be in a better state than it was when we moved in, its less than a perfect paint job.

Well, I'm afraid that unless your tenancy agreement specifically allows you to knock/drill holes in walls without re-painting afterward, (unlikely -most prohibit making holes in the first place), your LL will probably try to charge you for doing so, although I doubt he'd get away with a complete re-decorating job.

I'm sure he will be able to tell you the make of paint at least and paint retailers are pretty good at mixing to match existing but unnamed colours anyway. So, if he claims ignorance, hie thee to B & Q with a small sample (of painted wallpaper?) if poss. Of collect a Dulux, Crown or Berger paint chart in the right general colour range and see if it features. The trouble is, one man's cream is another man's Devon Dawn - so you need to be sure.

The emulsion paintwork in my daughter's last student house had been patched up with so many different shades of magnolia that it was hard to see what the original shade had been. But her landlord was an idiot (in my view). The walls looked awful. Unless you can get an exact match, (and do that before drilling any holes, next time!), it will probably be necessary to re-paint the whole wall/room. If you are using even a slightly different shade, it will need two coats. Sorry!

Who pays for this, if the walls were not in a beautiful state to begin with, will presumably be decided by the adjudicator of the deposit proptestion scheme if you and Ll cannot agree. He's not allowed to charge you for simple 'betterment', however, I don't see how he can return his walls to their original state without redecorating to some extent. Adj. may suggest splitting cost. Take lots of your own photos in case they are needed as evidence.

Your best hope is to persuade him to reveal the name/source of the original paint or to open up his shed for you where there will no doubt be a spare can or two. Even professional decorators leave the property-owner spare paint or the details of what they've used.

Good luck.

pam1
24-01-2009, 07:48 AM
Sorry, I don't know anything about the legal stuff but wouldn't it be cheaper to leave the bathroom cabinet and picture hooks there for the next tenant? A hook would look better than a hole!

mind the gap
24-01-2009, 13:56 PM
Sorry, I don't know anything about the legal stuff but wouldn't it be cheaper to leave the bathroom cabinet and picture hooks there for the next tenant? A hook would look better than a hole!

I agree, but some LLs are very strict about such assaults on the plasterwork and will insist hooks etc are removed and wall re-stored to original condition.

I have some sympathy for this view since :
(i) no two tenants ever seem to want to hang/mount things in the same places on walls and always make additional holes anyway.
(ii) it's not a good idea for Ts to go drilling into walls anyway, since they don't know where there may be cables or pipes.

We make a point of asking Ts where they want hooks etc and we drill them out for them, along with any other snagging jobs a weeks or so into the tenancy. And we leave touch-up paint in the outhouse! This policy has worked well so far (except for the one drunken student who painted the lawn lilac one night, but then you cannot anticipate every act of imbecility).

house275
24-01-2009, 14:05 PM
Hi

We recently vacated a rented house
On check in I took a picture of each wall in each room the same for floor & ceiling,all damage & any dirty areas,the garden,drive & paths
On check out we did the same it only took a few minutes each time

We filled & painted all holes (there was only 6) easy if you have magnolia walls just buy a 50p match pot,filler £1 from poundland

We presented inventory clerk with the before pictures before she did the check out inventory and we got a report that stated clearly that our domestic clean was better than the proff clean condition when we moved in

We got our full deposit back in 2 days flat

Be aware that they check every light bulb works & will often charge you for a man to come & fit one at £15 each (well ours would have)

We also asked our letting agent to pay direct into our bank rather than to post a chq which saved loads of time :rolleyes:

redex
24-01-2009, 20:45 PM
Good advice, our check in inventory details the condition of the paintwork, even though it was freshly done I assume with watered down paint. The 'gloss' paint on the skirting boards came off to bare wood when I washed them and the inventory does say only 1 coat thin paint in every room.
So its almost impossible to paint over the filler although it does look like magnolia or something similiar.

Our tenancy agreement only says to leave the property in a clean condition as it was, no details.

We are not looking to get out of what is our responsibility, just needed some clarity on what other people would do.
Looks like we need to discuss this further and wait to see what LLs come up with, they are very aware of what we put on the walls and din't have any problems with that, but we'll see.

Rodent1
02-02-2009, 23:45 PM
And we leave touch-up paint in the outhouse! This policy has worked well so far (except for the one drunken student who painted the lawn lilac one night, but then you cannot anticipate every act of imbecility).

Propably the best place for lilac paint ;)

Rodent1
02-02-2009, 23:54 PM
Good advice, our check in inventory details the condition of the paintwork, even though it was freshly done I assume with watered down paint. The 'gloss' paint on the skirting boards came off to bare wood when I washed them and the inventory does say only 1 coat thin paint in every room.
So its almost impossible to paint over the filler although it does look like magnolia or something similiar.

Our tenancy agreement only says to leave the property in a clean condition as it was, no details.

We are not looking to get out of what is our responsibility, just needed some clarity on what other people would do.
Looks like we need to discuss this further and wait to see what LLs come up with, they are very aware of what we put on the walls and din't have any problems with that, but we'll see.

If "marks" on the walls make up 5% of surface area and LL invoices 50% of cost of whole area you have 45% in the bag to be used as fair wear and tear ....which IMO is fair if you have abused walls contray to AST ...

As LL it is extremely annoying and looks very unsightly to have blobs of mismatched (and even matched paint) covering badly filled holes on walls -not to mention picture/mirror /bath cab shadows left on wall after removal. Over a period of just 12 mths and 2 sets of t a com[;ete redec can be required to get prop back into pridtine condition at a sizable cost.

Why should LL foot the bill of a T abusing AST terms and wall surfaces ?

Always ask LL B4 doing any such thing , All "good" LL will allow /provide a bathroom Cabinet and the odd Mirror/ pic hook in sensible places as a permenant feature.

The Rodent