PDA

View Full Version : Lodger's serious rent arrears and damage; evict him?

remyrobson
23-01-2009, 21:21 PM
Hi, I'm a newbie on here and I need another perspective on my problem.
My hubby and I have 2 properties, one which is exclusively for investment and one which we live in a have 3 lodgers to share the bills.

One of the lodgers has been here for 2 1/2 years and we did get on until I finally blew a fuse at him because I'm always cleaning up after him and he seems to have no respect for our home, treating it like a student doss. He has avoided me ever since but his behaviour hasn't improved. The bathroom is frankly embarrasing; in fact one of the other lodgers, a lovely clean girl, has left because she had to share it with him (we have our own en-suite). The stair carpet has recently been replaced because the old one was threadbare. When the new new carpet was fitted I politely
aked all lodgers to take shoes off in the house to protect new carpet and there is a shoe rack provided. Annoying lodger always trudges in with his biker books on and traipses mud and in one case dog poo up the stairs. His excuse is "I forgot" so I put a big bold sign on the stairs to remind him when he comes in, messiness persisted. Now he has polished his biker boots and not buffed them properly because there are size 10 boot prints in black polish all the way down the stairs!
My hubby asked him to clean it, he said he would and over a week later has rubbed one patch with a damp cloth, smudged it and now claims he's cleaned it!
He is also over £1000 overdue with his rent (he pays £120pcm) and £250 overdue with bills. We have been nice until now as he was unemployed for a couple of months after graduation, but he has bought a new motorbike, leathers and an iphone recently, and only paid £300 rent in 10 weeks. Should we cut our losses and find a new tenant? Should he pay to clean the new carpet? Advice would be appreciated!

Thanks, Anna :)

mind the gap
23-01-2009, 21:27 PM
The short answer to your question (Should I put up with this), is no.

He's having a laugh (at your considerable expense). I cannot understand why you have let him run up £1000 in rent arrears, but my advice is to get shut of him. Give him the minimum notice possible, and when he has gone, clean the carpet with white spirit (one of the few things which will get rid of the shoe polish), then carpet shampoo if nec.

Then re-let his room and sue him though the courts for the rent arrears.

Why have you put up with this selfish slob for so long?

remyrobson
23-01-2009, 21:44 PM
I know, we've been such doormats! I think because we were quite friendly with him and felt sorry for him when he was unemployed. Now he has a job he could easily pay his arrears within a couple of months if he tried it feels like he's taking the mick a bit. The hassle of finding a new reliable tenant for his small single bed room doesn't appeal either to be honest...

Thanks for your reply!

mind the gap
24-01-2009, 00:07 AM
I know, we've been such doormats! I think because we were quite friendly with him and felt sorry for him when he was unemployed. Now he has a job he could easily pay his arrears within a couple of months if he tried it feels like he's taking the mick a bit. The hassle of finding a new reliable tenant for his small single bed room doesn't appeal either to be honest...

Thanks for your reply!

Try to find someone from the Plymouth Brethren. They are quiet, considerate, law-abiding and they don't watch TV or smoke. Perfect tenants.

However, from what you've said, it sounds as if one of the 'Young Ones' or someone from the Addams Family would be a better bet than this slimeball.

Good luck.

PS If you live in a university town, then international students often arrive in Feb for 6 months and will be looking for lodgings. Contact the Uni Accommodation Office, or even the Modern Foreign Languages Departments?

remyrobson
24-01-2009, 11:58 AM
I do live in a university town, that's a good idea, I'll ring them monday. Thankyou.