PDA

View Full Version : Another tenant's stolen my parcel (signed as if me)

ryouga
23-01-2009, 20:18 PM
And its not the first time, im stressed out as last time it was a £50 parcel so couldnt afford to lose it, but managed to, this time its a £350 one, and I have been a major victim of fraud the last few months having £1000 stolen from my debit card and my credit card stolen.

Basically ordered a new pc, it was due to arrive today but was finishing an essay last night and didnt go to bed till 8am, woke up at 2.30 and didnt go down at first as was getting ready to email my essay.

I went down around 3.30 after having a shower and just assumed either it hasnt arrived or someone signed for it and was looking after it like normally happens.

When I saw no attempted delivery note I went upstairs and checked tracking, it said delivered at 9.10am and signed for by me! I knew this was wrong as I am the only person with my surname or first name in house.

A few thoughts came to mind, there is only about 5 British people in the house rest are foreign, and 2 of them are females, and 1 is a guy who moved in Yesterday and smoked pot all night and is careful answering his door, he was still awake at 8 when I went to bed and hes the only person who lives on ground floor and right next to the front door so he can hear the door and can see who is at the door from his window, on the floor above its me and 2 friends and a girl. above is 3 chinese guys.

When I knocked on the guys door he only answered at 5pm and claimed he was working from 10pm last night till 6am then went to bed which is a lie as he came into the house at 11pm last night so stoned he kept falling over and giggling so I doubt be went to work after that and im stereotyping but hes VERY chavvy and has very rotten teeth and about 3 left in his mouth and was very defensive.

And after I woke him up 5 minutes later I heard banging as if someone was dragging something out front door and went out and he was at front door and gave me a shocked look and walked out, then came back 5 minutes later, then went back out a few minutes later again, then his girlfriend arrived and was on phone not realising how loud she talked saying how she was skint and desperate for cash.

Also tried phoing police when originally happened and was on hold for 15 minutes, then they hung up on me, 2nd time 10 minutes, 3rd time they hung up without answering again, 4th time got through and they claimed someone will be right round this was 2 hours ago!

I also contacted the warden who didnt care as she was at work, then when she got back she saw me and gave me an evil look and huffed and puffed and went into her flat and I left it 10 minutes for her to get a chance to relax and went down and she ignored the door.

Eventually I caught her as she was cooking in kitchen but she said shes not sure about the CCTV in the house as she thinks its not always on and only the landlord knows so next time she contacts her she will ask.

Also my light broke yesterday and th warden promised it fixed today but the guy never arrived and I said to her that im really stressed out and feeling ill and even worse as the lights off so need light to relax and she didnt care and said its up to the handyman and it likely will be fixed tommorow or next week at latest.

Police say as its been signed for they cant investigate, and courier says since its been signed for their responsibility is over.

Anyway this technically may not be a landlord problem but its down to the property, and the landlord may fob me off about the CCTV etc.

mind the gap
23-01-2009, 20:26 PM
And your question is....?

ryouga
23-01-2009, 20:29 PM
And your question is....?

Lol no clear question but really wanted advice on what to do and my rights etc.

mind the gap
23-01-2009, 21:16 PM
Lol no clear question but really wanted advice on what to do and my rights etc.

I think you could make a lot more than the £350 you seem to have lost, by writing scripts for Katherine Tate.

Mars Mug
23-01-2009, 22:15 PM
Are you sharing a house with at least eight other people?

If you didn’t sign for the goods then they weren’t delivered to you, contact the delivery company.

Move to a place with fewer, more trustworthy people.

ryouga
23-01-2009, 22:23 PM
Are you sharing a house with at least eight other people?

If you didn’t sign for the goods then they weren’t delivered to you, contact the delivery company.

Move to a place with fewer, more trustworthy people.

Im a student and moved 2 months ago for same reason and uni said they wont help me as there is other rooms available elsewhere

I believe there are 18 people in here well 18 rooms plus the wardens flat but some people have partners who stay all the time so could be as much as double.

The delivery company though polite said that as its been signed for it has to be dealt with by police, and police say its down to delivery company.

thevaliant
24-01-2009, 08:52 AM
This isn't really a landlord/tenant issue (I only skimmed the post, it was far too long).

I may be criminal, it may be civil. Go to the police and insist they do something. Or else go and get advice from a solicitor who deals with criminal matters (I don't think this is a civil matter).

Mars Mug
24-01-2009, 09:40 AM
The delivery company though polite said that as its been signed for it has to be dealt with by police, and police say its down to delivery company.

You ordered something from a company, (paid by credit card?) and have not received the goods through no fault of your own. The company that you bought from still has an obligation to deliver, and if you contact them, or the credit card company they should chase it up. The delivery company is a middle man, you have no contract with them, the company you bought from does. You need to consider that a delivery to a house with 18 people is risky, and so probably not a practical option for the future.

Rodent1
24-01-2009, 10:06 AM
It is also possible that the delivery driver "had" the package.

I send a lot of stuff by carrier and have had this happen to me (as the sender) the person responsible is the carrier who will inform police. Inform carrier co immediately and request a copy of signed delivery note(most are available online) to verify that it is NOT your signature. The sender has an obligation to deliver and should also be informed immediately , thus far they havent and will liase with carrier. If you paid by credit card, inform them immediately and they will freeze the payment in the merchant's acc.

Suggest you move ! any other deliveries need to be sent to a more trustworthy location.

The Rodent

mind the gap
24-01-2009, 12:03 PM
The package has, however, (as far as I can work out from OP's stream of consciousness) been delivered and signed for.

Royal Mail in such cases (where customer says s/he does not have package, despite RM's claim it has been signed for), will on production of your ID, reveal a photograph of the signature to you.

They told us that sometimes the delivery drivers sign for packages when there is nobody around, then leave them outside door, although this is not supposed to happen.

Get back to courier and insist they show you the signature. It may be a dead end (signer could have made anything up, then kept package), but it's worth a try.

Rodent1
24-01-2009, 12:41 PM
The package has, however, (as far as I can work out from OP's stream of consciousness) been delivered and signed for.

Royal Mail in such cases (where customer says s/he does not have package, despite RM's claim it has been signed for), will on production of your ID, reveal a photograph of the signature to you.

They told us that sometimes the delivery drivers sign for packages when there is nobody around, then leave them outside door, although this is not supposed to happen.

Get back to courier and insist they show you the signature. It may be a dead end (signer could have made anything up, then kept package), but it's worth a try.

Driver wil be able to give description of person who signed, carrier will offer del note as proof of del - but if to wrong person then not your problem.

Fairly simple to match drivers description to T if 1 of 17 ?
Police will then take over from there unless of course somewhere in this process the kindly soul that took it in on your behalf comes forth withthe goods!

The Rodent

mind the gap
24-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Driver wil be able to give description of person who signed carrier will offer del note as proof of del - but if to wrong person then not your problem.

Fairly simple to match drivers description to T if 1 of 17 ?
Police will then take over from there unless of course somewhere in this process the kindly soul that took it in on your behalf comes forth withthe goods!

The Rodent

Sorry, have just twigged that OP says package was signed for in her name.The fact that someone has signed OP's name suggests either

i) driver signed it to avoid having to re-deliver
ii) another occupant of building signed it fraudulently to gain possession of goods.

I doubt very much whether driver will be able to describe the person who signed for it - they deliver ten of packages every day and rarely look at who is signing!. OP needs to show her own usual signature to the courier company Courier co. will compare it with the one used to sign for the package. If there is a discrepancy, courier is liable for loss. In theory.

Depending on which courier was used, this may take a few days or months of stroppy phone calls and going round in circles.