PDA

View Full Version : Dehumidifier Cost to LL

Landlord007
23-01-2009, 11:50 AM
Hi All,

Please could you help with the following financial matter

I have installed and paid for a dehumidifier to solve a damp problem in one of my houses, it seems to have done the trick.

The tenants are now asking for money as a way of compensation for having to run it.

Am I obliged to pay any contribution or all of the electricity for this? (forgetting good will for a second). Is there any legalities involved?

Thanks in Advance

James

jeffrey
23-01-2009, 12:00 PM
As there was no obligation on you to supply it, why would its running costs be payable by you?

Landlord007
23-01-2009, 12:21 PM
As there was no obligation on you to supply it, why would its running costs be payable by you?

Because it was supplied by me to remedy the problem in the house as I was getting grief by the couple in the property about their possessions growing mould.

Izzycam
23-01-2009, 12:21 PM
They normally cost a couple of pence an hour to run, I tend to give the tenants the money back if the cause of the damp is my fault....eg drying out of property after being plastered ect.
If the fault lies with the tenant, eg not leaving a window open while having a bath ect, then they should pay.

Izzycam
23-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Not a legal point of view, just my opinion.

Landlord007
23-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks Izzy, the fault seems to be with the property as I did not find out it had damp until the previous tenants moved out and said "oh by the way, its a bit damp". So I immediately got one, they've had it a few months now

mind the gap
23-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Not a legal point of view, just my opinion.

I agree. The cause of the excess humidity should determine who pays for its remedy.

Ericthelobster
23-01-2009, 15:44 PM
Thanks Izzy, the fault seems to be with the property as I did not find out it had damp until the previous tenants moved out and said "oh by the way, its a bit damp". So I immediately got one, they've had it a few months nowSo, if as it appears, the dehumidifier is a bodge to solve a defect with the building (which clearly IS your responsibility) why should the tenants have to pay for the cost (when the proper solution is presumably for you to shell out on repairs)?

mind the gap
23-01-2009, 15:58 PM
So, if as it appears, the dehumidifier is a bodge to solve a defect with the building (which clearly IS your responsibility) why should the tenants have to pay for the cost (when the proper solution is presumably for you to shell out on repairs)?

A little harsh, Eric?

If the damp only appeared during the previous tenancy and he was only notified at the very end, it could well have been caused by the previous tenants' lifestyle, rather than by any defect in the building...until the truth is known, it's probably unhelpful to apportion blame. Ll has been responsible, and remedied the problem. And as Izzycam says, humidifiers don't cost that much to run anyway.

Poppy
23-01-2009, 17:43 PM
Landlord007, Have you employed a surveyor or another suitably qualified person to diagnose the problem and provide a report? If not, why not? You say the dehumidifier has done the trick, but how can you be sure if you are not aware of the cause in the first place.

Preston
23-01-2009, 18:51 PM
Hi All,

Please could you help with the following financial matter

I have installed and paid for a dehumidifier to solve a damp problem in one of my houses, it seems to have done the trick.

The tenants are now asking for money as a way of compensation for having to run it.

Am I obliged to pay any contribution or all of the electricity for this? (forgetting good will for a second). Is there any legalities involved?

Thanks in Advance

James

Hi,

Before you start to worry, work out how much the unit costs to run. The ones I'm familiar with are a penny or two an hour, so £5 or £10 a month even with very heavy use.

And I agree with the earlier comment about the cause of the dampness. Do you know what it was?

Preston

Wet
24-01-2009, 03:14 AM
Hi,

Before you start to worry, work out how much the unit costs to run. The ones I'm familiar with are a penny or two an hour, so £5 or £10 a month even with very heavy use.

And I agree with the earlier comment about the cause of the dampness. Do you know what it was?

Preston

Having been running drying out equipment since being flooded could I just ask where you are getting these figures from as received my electric bill yesterday £89.43 for the last month compared with preflood usage on average £28 - £32! Thats not just pence as has been put and as a tenant I am passing this onto the LL as it was equipmenet installed by their contractors and in my opinion they put it in for the sake of their property so they can pay for the running of it.

Rodent1
24-01-2009, 09:04 AM
Condensation is a constant problem with retarded tenants.

I have a couple in a flat who have not opened a curtain let alone a window in the 7 mths that they have been there ...the smell is disgraceful and has seeped out into the communal hallway which is makinf letting of the flat above extrememly difficult.
The residents are a Dr and a nurse. the flat is now a complete pigsty (was completetly redecorated immediately pror to occ) the walls are green and black and quite frankly it is a health hazard.(The bathroom is like a DR Who set) I have owned the prop for 8 years and had NO previous problems. All walls have been checked for penetrating/rising and fault lies directly with T lifestyle.

However trying to convince the T of this has fallen on very deaf ears, the response being that clearly the fault lies with the prop as they have lived this lifestyle in many other props with no similar problems.

I have had a damp surveyor in who has also confirmed the above - T still does not accept position, I have informed that unless they clean up and start opening windows and curtains they will be looking at a very expensive redec invoice.
They assure me that the windows and curtains are opened daily, this is utter BS as house is 80 yds from my office and i pass it at least 4 times a day.

They also have a cat in the prop against AST terms which has clawed one of the carpets to bits(i havent passed comment on this yet !)

It astounds me that someone with a medical background can:
a) live in such squalor
b) not understand the basics of bacterial growth

This is the worst case of condensation i have ever seen and the most stubborn and unintelligent attitude towards the problem by a tenant ever.

The Rodent

Rodent1
24-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Retarded tenants?

Your attitude stinks.

The flat stinks due to the stinking attitude displayed by T.
Who has been advised of simple proceedure to eradicate problem on many occassions over past 6 mths. There is no problem with the building now or on past 8 years.

What do you do with someone who refuses to open curtains and windows ?

The one paying your mortgage for you?

They pay the rent to live in a very nice flat with Jacuzzi, I pay the mortgage.
To remedy the problem as is, will to date cost around £1000 (they are too lazy to even clean pvc window cills which are also daark green).
I am also in a situation where i cannot let flat above due to rank smell eminating from GGF.

Retarded attitude ? Yes - WHY ?
1. It is an unhealthy atmoshere to live in
2. They are having to throw mouldy clothes away
3. They are creating expense for themselves to rectify damage
4. They have 5 months to run on AST and if damage not attended very soon costs will esculate
5. God Knows what visitors and friends think of their approach to hygene

So Wickerman, what do you propose i do ?

The Rodent

Izzycam
24-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Have any of you seen that programme,"How clean is your house".
In it normally respectable people from all walks of life, an accountant, teacher, lord ect, show a complete lack of ability when it comes to keeping a home hygenic and clean.
In our line of work, we often come across these types, and we are expected to bail them out (get dehumidifiers, employ surveyers to assess situations,redecorate properties.)
All because they are, dare I say pigs!

mind the gap
24-01-2009, 11:58 AM
All because they are, dare I say pigs!

Unfair to pigs, in some cases.

Rodent1
24-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Unfair to pigs, in some cases.

Yep. I make no apologies, retarded stinking pigs.

The Rodent

Ericthelobster
24-01-2009, 12:52 PM
It astounds me that someone with a medical background can:
a) live in such squalor
b) not understand the basics of bacterial growthBacterial growth it ain't...

mind the gap
24-01-2009, 13:05 PM
Bacterial growth it ain't...

That thought struck me, too. Mould is not bacteria. However, from what Rodent has said, this couple probably share their home with a whole range of microbiolgical, insect and fungal houseguests, not just the mould!

Izzycam
24-01-2009, 14:23 PM
Beat this for piggish behaviour....one tenant left about 120 stinking nappies all over the house then did a runner....I'm glad to say this was in the days when I didn't have my head screwed on concerning referencing tenants properly...ewww, it was disgusting.

Rodent1
24-01-2009, 14:32 PM
Bacterial growth it ain't...

The thread was centred on condensation .....i should add that the interior of the fridge is a sight to behold, as are the various plates and cups littered around the flat with very nasty looking sludge in/on them.

The Rodent

mind the gap
24-01-2009, 15:13 PM
The thread was centred on condensation .....i should add that the interior of the fridge is a sight to behold, as are the various plates and cups littered around the flat with very nasty looking sludge in/on them.

The Rodent

I'm surprised you haven't yet found a use for re-cycled sludge, Rodent:p

Rodent1
25-01-2009, 00:43 AM
I'm surprised you haven't yet found a use for re-cycled sludge, Rodent:p

Bahave... this is probably one of the most serious situatioms i have ever experienced as a LL in my LL career ...I jest not , I really dont know what to do with the pair of them !

It would be so much easier if they weren't female, extremely attractive, in their mid twenties and weren't causing so much potential damage to the prop ...

I am condsidering, subject to their approval; a damage limitation exercise(to my prop, and in the interest of my bank balance(!)) going in and doing full clean up ---so that prop doesn't deteriorate any further ---and allows me to let FF flat!

Very much goes against the grain but long term and bigger picture MUST be considered.

Altho this will be on condition that all clothing(they seem to be dressed in strings!) and other personal effects will be cleared to the point where we can at least "see" the flooring (you have to see the state of this pace to believe it!),, Also all bongs, and and various other smoking devices with tubes etc must be at least put out of sight (if not site !) of my operatives, the photo pics on the walls must be removed (for fear of distracting my staff !!!! you can't appreciate this without seeing them!)

Also both "rabbits "(and chargers) must be movewd to somewhere where my staff can't see them.

Is it just me, or has anyone else got T like this ?

The Rodent

Izzycam
25-01-2009, 04:53 AM
They do seem rather bad...there again nothing suprises me!
I wouldn't like either of these to ejits to treat me (Doctor and nurse).
Perhaps a quite word in they're ear informing them that you are worried that the hygene practices they follow could be carried through to their work place... and you feel duty bound to inform the necessary authorities.
No wonder we have MRSA with these types running our hospitals.

Wet
25-01-2009, 05:14 AM
All this from an original post about humidifiers!!!! The mind boggles :D

mind the gap
25-01-2009, 08:05 AM
They do seem rather bad...there again nothing suprises me!
I wouldn't like either of these to ejits to treat me (Doctor and nurse).
Perhaps a quite word in they're ear informing them that you are worried that the hygene practices they follow could be carried through to their work place... and you feel duty bound to inform the necessary authorities.
No wonder we have MRSA with these types running our hospitals.

No, this is a non-starter. The hospital authorities will not entertain such tale-telling and rightly so. Why should they? It would be a breach of their employees' privacy for H even to listen to Rodent in this case. The two in question may be model employees - hard to credit, I know, but as you say, that Life of Grime series threw up some extraordinary stories of outwardly 'normal' professionals who functioned OK in society, yet lived in disgusting squalor in private. If they do not function OK at work, then the hospital will have its own disciplinary procedures; dangerously unhygienic/dirty habits in hospital staff are hard to miss.

In fact, from what Rodent has said about them, I find it hard to believe they are telling him the truth about their occupations. But unless there's some covenant in the TA which allows only health professionals to live there, and as long as they they pay the rent, then his hands are tied unless he can get them out on section 8 grounds 12, 13 poss even 14. But these are discretionary, not mandatory grounds.

Incidentally, Rodent, how does one bahave? Sounds fun.

Izzycam
25-01-2009, 10:01 AM
Re Mind the gap....understand completely what you said......I was thinking more from a phsycological point of view, they may get frightened and pull they're finger out.....
Some tenants behave like naughty schoolchildren.

mind the gap
25-01-2009, 10:13 AM
Re Mind the gap....understand completely what you said......I was thinking more from a phsycological point of view, they may get frightened and pull they're finger out.....
Some tenants behave like naughty schoolchildren.

No...doctors and nurses aren't frightened that easily (not even by Rodent:eek:). They are usually no strangers to human nastiness, having been threatened, abused and possibly even physically assaulted in the course of their work. These two may be slobs, but they probably aren't daft and will know their rights. I think they would laugh in Rodent's face if he threatened to report them to the PCT.

stresshead
25-01-2009, 10:40 AM
Also both "rabbits "(and chargers) must be movewd to somewhere where my staff can't see them.

Haha! We have recently had trouble with agents letting themselves into our flat to perform viewings without notifying us...I did put forward a suggestion that we buy the most ridiculous sex toys we could find and put them on display, with perhaps the biggest one dangled strategically over the doorway! I doubt it would have deterred them at all as agents are cheeky little so-and-sos, but it would have provided a very small amount of amusement for me!

Rodent1
25-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Incidentally, Rodent, how does one bahave? Sounds fun.

erm.. my English teacher was a sheep ?!;)

This pair look at me with an insulted, hurt and bemused expression bordering on condescending , and are very much of the opinion that it is the fault of the property, they are paying rent on a substandard prop and i am having a laugh ...argggggggggg

The Rodent

mind the gap
25-01-2009, 12:42 PM
erm.. my English teacher was a sheep ?!;)The Rodent

I didn't realise that the Welsh education authorities were quite that desperate, but it explains a lot.

Rodent1
25-01-2009, 13:41 PM
I didn't realise that the Welsh education authorities were quite that desperate, but it explains a lot.

Clearly ewe were not available at the time.

not to be confused with this ewe:
http://www.muttonbone.com
or even:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article426260.ece

The Rodent

Rodent1
25-01-2009, 13:49 PM
Haha! We have recently had trouble with agents letting themselves into our flat to perform viewings without notifying us...I did put forward a suggestion that we buy the most ridiculous sex toys we could find and put them on display, with perhaps the biggest one dangled strategically over the doorway! I doubt it would have deterred them at all as agents are cheeky little so-and-sos, but it would have provided a very small amount of amusement for me!

You may find that this has the opposite effect and actually attracts more viewings tho!

The Rodent

mind the gap
25-01-2009, 13:52 PM
You may find that this has the opposite effect and actually attracts more viewings tho!

The Rodent

Yes - by time-wasting perverts!

mind the gap
25-01-2009, 13:53 PM
Clearly ewe were not available at the time.

not to be confused with this ewe:
http://www.muttonbone.com
or even:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article426260.ece

The Rodent

Hmmmm....the second one is interesting, but the first one makes me fear for your sanity.