PDA

View Full Version : Am I in arrears? First Uni. term's cheque bounced

vicchaos2
22-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Hello I have a question regarding landlord legal rights and cheques.

I wrote my landlord three cheques at the start of the year, 1 for each term of university. Im at the 2nd term of the year now, and the problem is that the cheque for the first term bounced and he didnt notice.. until now.

does he legally have the right to demand the money for the first term's worth of rent?

thanks

jta
22-01-2009, 12:05 PM
Good Grief, are you serious? Of course he has the right to demand the money. Did you know the cheque had not gone through, why didn't you do something about it?

vicchaos2
22-01-2009, 12:17 PM
I didnt notice and now dont have enough cash to cover it..

the cheque for this term has gone through fine, but last term's is being demanded, what can the landlord do if i say i cant pay the first term's? can i get kicked out or do i have some sort of right?

thanks

jta
22-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Yes , you can get kicked out, find the money, pay your debts, and check your accounts in future.

From your reference to 'terms', I take it you are a student, try not to start your life with a black mark on your record, it can cause all sorts of problems later on. (Dutch Uncle mode)

mind the gap
22-01-2009, 12:25 PM

the cheque for this term has gone through fine, but last term's is being demanded, what can the landlord do if i say i cant pay the first term's? can i get kicked out or do i have some sort of right?

thanks

How can a student not notice that they still have £1000+ which they shouldn't have?

Don't answer that:) What are you studying? Business Studies, I bet. I have seen it so often.

Seriously, if your guarantor or your bank can't help you out with a loan, you will have to negotiate very remorsefully with your LL about repaying in instalments, try to find a part-time job and resign yourself to living off lentils for the next six months. Good luck.

gdturn
22-01-2009, 12:26 PM

So, you didn't manage your account properly and spent money that you should have set aside to pay your rent.

Sorry, but that's your fault, not your landlord's.

SALL
22-01-2009, 12:32 PM
How can a student not notice that they still have £1000+ which they shouldn't have?

To be fair to him , he didn't have the £1000+ in his account, otherwise why would the cheque bounce. :)

mind the gap
22-01-2009, 12:37 PM
To be fair to him , he didn't have the £1000+ in his account, otherwise why would the cheque bounce. :)

Well, either he had one hell of a Freshers' Week, or his student loan hadn't come in when he issued the cheque....but it certainly brings out the Daily Mail in one, doesn't it! My gran's voice echoes even now in my head - 'Look after the pennies...you might want it, but you don't need it...I had to wait four years before I could afford a vacuum cleaner. I saved three and sixpence every week in the Co-op but I wouldn't have it on credit, that's the devil's way...'

She'd be a bit disappointed with the world now, wouldn't she?

vicchaos2
22-01-2009, 13:03 PM
yeah, surely it's the landlords fault as well for not noticing the cheque bounced due to late student loan? whether or not i did anything about it is beside the point really

vicchaos2
22-01-2009, 13:04 PM
dont try and question my intelligence with daily mail comments too... im talking about a flaw in the legal system here, please leave your ignorance at home :)

mind the gap
22-01-2009, 13:16 PM
dont try and question my intelligence with daily mail comments too... im talking about a flaw in the legal system here, please leave your ignorance at home :)

I was being ironic, actually - I loathe the Daily Mail.

Please don't be narky with us just because we have given you information and advice you didn't want to hear. If you're gown up enough to be at University, you should be grown up enough to pay your bills, not expect someone else to come running after you to remind you that you haven't paid, or feel sorry for yourself because you can't get out of paying. It's not 'a flaw in the legal system at all' - it's a flaw in your money-management. You might like to consider learning from it so it doesn't happen again.

Good luck with the negotiations with your landlord. It would be wise not to be so sulky with him about it, or he'll be filling in the section 8 faster than you could imagine.

jta
22-01-2009, 13:22 PM
I was being ironic, actually - I loathe the Daily Mail.

She does, she does.

Don't get tetchy about it, you asked, we answered. You will find that MTGs advice is very much to the point since she is a 'student landlord' herself.

Lawcruncher
22-01-2009, 13:25 PM
You will find that MTGs advice is very much to the point since she is a 'student landlord' herself.

I think she has got the hang of it now.

mind the gap
22-01-2009, 13:40 PM
I think she has got the hang of it now.

I'd like to think so; but can we ever truly say we master anything in life? Who lives, learns.

We need a 'Philosopher's Expression' emoticon....

(but we need students to pay their rent, even more:)

jta
22-01-2009, 13:43 PM
I'd like to think so; but can we ever truly say we master anything in life?

Yer've mastered me Mistress! :D

mind the gap
22-01-2009, 13:55 PM
Yer've mastered me Mistress!

Is that a 'He has killed me, mother!' line or 'He's killed me mother!' line?:confused:

Lawcruncher
22-01-2009, 13:58 PM
Three definitions of an expert:

1. Someone who gets to knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.

2. Someone who knows more than you.

3. Someone you pay for advice you can sue if he gets it wrong.

mind the gap
22-01-2009, 14:08 PM
Three definitions of an expert:

1. Someone who gets to knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.

2. Someone who knows more than you.

3. Someone you pay for advice you can sue if he gets it wrong.

So which one(s) are you,;) Lawcruncher?

Lawcruncher
22-01-2009, 14:13 PM
Is that a 'He has killed me, mother!' line or 'He's killed me mother!' line?:confused:

Reminds me of the Tim Brooke-Taylor line in I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again* when the phone was cut off when he wanted to speak to his mother:

"Dead! Dead! And never called me mother!"

*(Mais où sont les neiges d'antan?)

mind the gap
22-01-2009, 14:19 PM
Reminds me of the Tim Brooke-Taylor line in I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again* when the phone was cut off when he wanted to speak to his mother:

"Dead! Dead! And never called me mother!" Brill:)

*(Mais où sont les neiges d'antan?) Dans la poubelle du temps jadis, malheureusement.

Lawcruncher
22-01-2009, 14:23 PM
C'est vrai. Avec les jours dorés de ma jeunesse.

mind the gap
22-01-2009, 14:27 PM

Oh Lawcruncher, don't!

You had me reaching for my hanky, then.

It's not so bleak. You still have your copy of 'Wuthering Heights', albeit a little battered from running around in the wind with it, not to mention your dragon dressing gown...and free chiropody.

Lawcruncher
22-01-2009, 14:43 PM
Don't worry! I am not the depressive sort. The past is another country and I do not go there - at least not too often. But sometimes my soul is seized with indescribable melancholy and unbearable longing and I know what Vergil meant by sunt lacrimae rerum. Here is one of my favourite poems: http://wheatoncollege.edu/Academic/academicdept/French/ViveVoix/Resources/soirdecarnaval.html

Lawcruncher
22-01-2009, 14:47 PM
So which one(s) are you,;) Lawcruncher?

Back to the banal!

It is all a question of hierarchies.

jeffrey
22-01-2009, 15:04 PM
Ta jeunesse? Elle est chez moi, maintenant.

mind the gap
22-01-2009, 15:06 PM
Don't worry! I am not the depressive sort. The past is another country and I do not go there - at least not too often. But sometimes my soul is seized with indescribable melancholy and unbearable longing and I know what Vergil meant by sunt lacrimae rerum. Here is one of my favourite poems: http://wheatoncollege.edu/Academic/academicdept/French/ViveVoix/Resources/soirdecarnaval.html

Thank you.

It is all true. And now I understand why you like 'WH'. Or at least, I have a sense of why.

jeffrey
22-01-2009, 15:08 PM
Back to the banal!
For Rodent, omit second 'b'.

mind the gap
22-01-2009, 15:11 PM
For Rodent, omit second 'b'.

And for other primitive primates, omit the 'l' and add 'nas'?

Lawcruncher
22-01-2009, 15:39 PM
I did of course mean Virgil.

mind the gap
22-01-2009, 15:59 PM
I did of course mean Virgil.

Slip of the keys...you were on the verge of melancholy after all.

There, I've put it in green to cheer you up:)

jeffrey
22-01-2009, 16:09 PM
There, I've put it in green to cheer you up
OK- but I'll have to accept your word on that: green is the new red (i.e. it does not appear in posts' text on my screen!)

mind the gap
22-01-2009, 16:37 PM
OK- but I'll have to accept your word on that: green is the new red (i.e. it does not appear in posts' text on my screen!)

Let your imagination run wild and supply the deficit.

Think pea-soup. Unripe corn. Green apples. The 'tree green' in the tins of Lakeland Crayons (anyone who went to primary school in Yorskhire between 1950 and 1975).

LandlordLee
22-01-2009, 17:00 PM
How is this your landlords fault? You clearly tried to defraud him/her knowing you had not paid. you clearly would have not mentioned it if he/she had not noticed, which in my book is theft. And yes he can kick you out and claim for the unpaid rent with the potential to have a CCJ on your credit file.

At the end of the day, you have had the money (which the government i am sure intended to go towards liing costs) and spent it. Now you are asking us if you have any 'rights' as to get away with not paying. You are going to have one heck of a life if this is your attitude.

If you had a job and your employer did not pay you, and you only noticed a few months down the line how would you feel and react to that? What if they tries to look for excuses not to pay you the money owed?

jta
22-01-2009, 17:15 PM
How is this your landlords fault? You clearly tried to defraud him/her knowing you had not paid. you clearly would have not mentioned it if he/she had not noticed, which in my book is theft. And yes he can kick you out and claim for the unpaid rent with the potential to have a CCJ on your credit file.

At the end of the day, you have had the money (which the government i am sure intended to go towards liing costs) and spent it. Now you are asking us if you have any 'rights' as to get away with not paying. You are going to have one heck of a life if this is your attitude.

If you had a job and your employer did not pay you, and you only noticed a few months down the line how would you feel and react to that? What if they tries to look for excuses not to pay you the money owed?

OP. Would you care to tell us what you are studying? Law perhaps?

mind the gap
22-01-2009, 17:18 PM
OP. Would you care to tell us what you are studying? Law perhaps?

Retail Therapy?

Silence.

(Think he's got the 'ump).

mind the gap
22-01-2009, 19:25 PM
The truth hurts