PDA

View Full Version : Gas/Plumbing Insurance

creditcrunch
22-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Please help. I am new to renting and letting out my house as I have been unable to sell and need to move with work. The reference check, contracts and inventory have all been completed satisfactorily. The estate agents were quoting a rip-off fee to manage the property and I have decided not to go via their managed route and deal with any problems myself. I would like to take out a maintainance contract as I am abroad quite often. Can I ask the tenant to register for homeserve/homecare and then reimburse them. If there is no way around this then I will pay the "landlord" rates these companies offer but I am trying to avoid paying yet more rip-off fees to a GCH/Plumbing maintainance company for exactly the same product simply because I am a landlord.
Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

mind the gap
22-01-2009, 10:47 AM
Please help. I am new to renting and letting out my house as I have been unable to sell and need to move with work. The reference check, contracts and inventory have all been completed satisfactorily. The estate agents were quoting a rip-off fee to manage the property and I have decided not to go via their managed route and deal with any problems myself. I would like to take out a maintainance contract as I am abroad quite often. Can I ask the tenant to register for homeserve/homecare and then reimburse them. If there is no way around this then I will pay the "landlord" rates these companies offer but I am trying to avoid paying yet more rip-off fees to a GCH/Plumbing maintainance company for exactly the same product simply because I am a landlord.
Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

The reason for the differential rates may be that tenanted properties represent a higher risk to the insurer than owner-occupied homes (as tenants are statistically less careful/more likely to call out). The provider may insist on a LL policy if prop. is tenanted. If T 'pretended' to be the home-owner, it may invalidate the contract. You would have to ask.

Policies are fairly widely available online although, some involve a phone call as well.

Best advice is to shop round for one which suits your needs at the best price. Sorry if that sounds obvious, but the chances are it won't be British Gas! There have been several threads on this issue recently - try these:

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=16040&highlight=British

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=15923&highlight=British

creditcrunch
22-01-2009, 11:10 AM
Mindthegap, thanks for your prompt and clear advice. Thanks for the excellent links too.