PDA

View Full Version : landlord harrassing me

coly
19-01-2009, 20:25 PM
Hi,
I paid my rent late in November (first time in 3 years). I paid the first half on time and with their agreement paid the 2nd half 2 weeks later. I paid on time in December but this month I paid 4 days late. My husband is currently working abroad and it took longer for him to get the money through to me. The landlord came knocking on my door for the money and when I didn't answer they phoned me. I had already paid the money and they didn't check their bank account.

As they live beside me they often look through the garden to spy on me and I as I have 3 young children I am feeling pretty vunlnerable. They are forever letting themselves in and out of my garden (even though I have asked them not to). When she called I suggested this was harrassment but she told me she knows her rights and she can do what she wants. Is this the case or is there something I can do to stop them coming to my door whenever they think they need to speak to me about something.

PaulF
19-01-2009, 20:38 PM
Yes this is a form of harassment and is unreasonable if your rent is only marginally late. Write and say you understand their need to have rent paid on time but it has been unavoidable on recent occasions.

She can't "do what she wants" but how do they let themselves in and out of your garden?

Your landlord has a legal obligation to give you 24 hours written Notice of any wish (note not right) to enter the premises (you don't have to let her in!) but just to talk to you on the doorstep is slightly different. You don't have to engage in conversation and you can ask for (and be granted) any communication to be in writing if you so wish.

mind the gap
19-01-2009, 20:41 PM
She can't "do what she wants" but how do they let themselves in and out of your garden?

Er...through the garden gate?

coly
19-01-2009, 20:56 PM
Thank you for being so quick at replying. We have now locks on our gates. I never answer the door in the evenings but after they had been ringing the bell and then to phone the house to ask why I hadn't answered the door as they saw me in the kitchen is unacceptable. They stare through the walls tell the kids off for playing football in the garden. Tell me when to mow the lawn tell me when to replace the bulbs outside. It goes on and on. I have been keeping a log now of the times he is in the garden, using my water to wash down his drive and so on. I really don't think this is right, I must be able to have some privacy? Again thanks.

mind the gap
19-01-2009, 21:15 PM
Thank you for being so quick at replying. We have now locks on our gates. I never answer the door in the evenings but after they had been ringing the bell and then to phone the house to ask why I hadn't answered the door as they saw me in the kitchen is unacceptable. They stare through the walls tell the kids off for playing football in the garden. Tell me when to mow the lawn tell me when to replace the bulbs outside. It goes on and on. I have been keeping a log now of the times he is in the garden, using my water to wash down his drive and so on. I really don't think this is right, I must be able to have some privacy? Again thanks.

I agree this is totally unreasonable. They are denying you your right to 'quiet enjoyment' of the property and their behaviour constitutes harassment.

Do as Paul says - write to them. Explain your concerns, pointing out that you find their behaviour unacceptable and why, and requesting that all communication be in writing from now on.

Good luck. They sound creepy, but they may not realise that's how they come across. But you don't have to put up with it.