PDA

View Full Version : Verbal Tenancy Agreement

frazp
19-01-2009, 13:37 PM
i have moved into a friends house and am paying rent. He lives there also. In order to receive an allowance from my employer they have said they have to see a tenancy agreement. Obviously i dont have this as it was verbal. Does a verbal agreement hold the same rights? Should my employer accept this as their proof? Any other advice?!!!

jta
19-01-2009, 13:39 PM
Are you paying your rent to your friend, or his landlord?

frazp
19-01-2009, 13:40 PM
i pay the rent direct to my friend, who owns the property.

jeffrey
19-01-2009, 13:41 PM
You are a lodger, not a tenant, as the owner (your friend) lives there too.

If a written Agreement is essential, the most that he could grant to you would be an Agreement recognising your status as lodger. You have no security of tenure, the Housing Act 1988 cannot apply, and so he cannot grant to you an Assured Shorthold Tenancy.

jta
19-01-2009, 13:43 PM
That's fine, that makes you a lodger. There is no reason your friend cannot give you a lodger agreement detailing what the terms of your accommodation are. You could even download one from this site.

mind the gap
19-01-2009, 13:44 PM
So your firiend is the resident LL and you are his lodger. This is not the same as being a tenant -you have less security of tenure, for example; your friend could ask you to leave with short notice - how short, would depend on how you pay rent (weekly, monthly, etc). However, if it's just a cse of proving you live there and pay rent, there are standard 'licence to occupy' agreement forms which your LL and you could sign and use as proof for your employer.

Sorry guys, my post crossed with the last two. I was typing slowly as I ate my lunch (fast).

frazp
19-01-2009, 13:45 PM
what value would a lodger agreement have in comparison to a tenant agreement? Its not a trust thing between myself and my friend, its so i can claim this allownace.

jta
19-01-2009, 13:47 PM
What allowance?

frazp
19-01-2009, 13:48 PM
im in the armed forces and its an allowance they have for when you rent privately. ive just asked them about the License to Occupy and if that would be sufficient. Should know by tomorrow. Either way, thanks to all of you for your advice.

mind the gap
19-01-2009, 13:51 PM
im in the armed forces and its an allowance they have for when you rent privately. ive just asked them about the License to Occupy and if that would be sufficient. Should know by tomorrow. Either way, thanks to all of you for your advice.

Depends on their rules, but in a sense you are renting privately, aren't you? They may not be over bothered as to whether you are a lodger or a tenant - I would guess they just want to make sure you're not living rent-free somewhere (e.g at home with parents) but claiming rent back from them.

Let us know what they say.

frazp
19-01-2009, 13:53 PM
you'd be amazed at how bothered they are when it comes to you asking for money off them. Amazing when they owe you money....takes an eternity! Rant over! Thanks. I'll let you know the answer.

jta
19-01-2009, 14:20 PM
Frazp, when I was in the forces, back in the dark ages we used to be able to get the allowance for private lettings no problem. I shouldn't think it's changed that much. I joined up before the Dead Sea went sick.
Good Luck

mind the gap
19-01-2009, 15:34 PM
I joined up before the Dead Sea went sick.
Good Luck

How did you make it do that?

jta
19-01-2009, 16:14 PM
Old Army saying, I got a medal too, for being first in the NAAFI queue three times running. :D

mind the gap
19-01-2009, 16:34 PM
Old Army saying, I got a medal too, for being first in the NAAFI queue three times running. :D

So that's why you were sick in the Dead Sea. Now I get it.