PDA

View Full Version : One of my two tenants has left the flat

spursliz
18-01-2009, 17:27 PM
Can anyone advise me on this problem, please? I have a flat in Edinburgh which is rented on a short assured tenancy terminating on 7th February with a 2 month written release. Having heard nothing, I was happy to let it run. I have just been informed that the couple have split up, and the man moved out before Christmas. The rent has been paid, with him contributing but he has hinted that he will pay no more after 7th February and I have heard nothing from the remaining girl tenant. Do I need to draw up a new lease for her alone? Does he have to pay half of the rent until I get 2 months notice in writing? I am very worried about losing the rent on this flat which pays for some of my bills and council tax. Thanks in advance, Liz

Paul_f
18-01-2009, 17:40 PM
We're not to good on Scottish Law here!

mind the gap
18-01-2009, 19:28 PM
We're not to good on Scottish Law here!

...or on homophones either I'm afraid;)

spursliz
18-01-2009, 19:56 PM
I asked a simple question - I am not homophobic at all, but am passing on a question that my (male) tenant asked me. I think your reply, Mind the Gap, is insulting and completely un-necessary. If you can't help someone who is in genuine need of help, at least keep your unkindness to yourself.

gdturn
18-01-2009, 19:57 PM
homoPHONE, not PHOBE...

two words that sound the same but are spelled differently

mind the gap
18-01-2009, 20:00 PM
I asked a simple question - I am not homophobic at all, but am passing on a question that my (male) tenant asked me. I think your reply, Mind the Gap, is insulting and completely un-necessary. If you can't help someone who is in genuine need of help, at least keep your unkindness to yourself.

Good grief. I was teasing Paul f about his spelling! (to/too is a common homophone error)

Please be sure of what you are talking about before you insult people.

jta
18-01-2009, 20:03 PM
That'll teach you to use big words. :D

mind the gap
18-01-2009, 20:04 PM
That'll teach you to use big words

I've certainly learnt not to use 'em on you!:p

spursliz
18-01-2009, 20:06 PM
Yes, yes, all very funny to you who obviously think you are much smarter than everyone else. Homophone, homophobe or just plain genius, it doesn't solve the problem I have - the money I need to live on is about to be cut off.

jta
18-01-2009, 20:18 PM
Ok seriously, we do not normally give advice on Scottish Law as regards housing. We don't know enough about it to give you a proper answer. You would be better off finding a forum that does deal in the quite different law north of the border. Sorry.

gdturn
18-01-2009, 20:22 PM
Okay, she's gone... thank Christ you didn't ask if she was a paediatrician...

spursliz
18-01-2009, 20:30 PM
Thank you, JTA, I'll search for one.

Mrs Jones
18-01-2009, 20:46 PM
Try these - the first one looks quite easy to follow

http://www.betterrentingscotland.com/prh/prh_dt_top_mainpage.jsp;jsessionid=FC502BD56B583F7 35C1C732DD980AF94?pContentID=41&p_applic=CCC&p_service=Content.show&

http://www.scotborders.gov.uk/pdf/12792.pdf

www.scottishlaw.org.uk/lawscotland/landlord.html.