PDA

View Full Version : Fire Regulations Questions

LL Ted
17-01-2009, 14:12 PM
Hello All

I've found this site a great resource as I build my knowledge to perform my landlord's duties to the best of my ability - thanks to all for sharing their knowledge and experience.

On reviewing the fire regulations and requirements I've found this document that others may find useful for tenants:

http://direct.gov.uk/en/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_074034.pdf

My property is a top floor split level (flat contains 3 levels, sleeping accommodation on the lower and upper level in the eaves of the house) 2-bed converted flat in a Victorian building. The lease was created in March 1993 but it is likely that the actual conversion took place in 1992. Currently installed is 1 smoke detector on the lower floor, which is not connected to the mains.

My questions:

Should I supply fire alarms on the other 2 levels of the property
Should any/or all be connected to the mains or are battery operated smoke alarms sufficient
I will supply a carbon monoxide alarm(s) - how many and where should they be sited
As a top floor flat the main means of escape is through the front door - should I provide some kind of ladder for alternative means of escape

I'm going to contact a Fire Prevention Officer but in the meantime if anybody has experience of the above, I'd be glad to hear it. Thanks!

Poppy
17-01-2009, 14:38 PM
So, you're describing a two bed flat, not an HMO (correct me where necessary). There are no particular fire regulations. I have simply installed a couple of smoke detectors in each of my properties. All you can do is hope that your tenants change the batteries occasionally.

The link you have provided merely contains suggestions, not regulations or requirements. But thank you all the same.

arealhighlander
12-04-2009, 12:38 PM
I believe that if you are letting a property out in Scotland you must comply with Housing (Scotland) Act 2006 and The Private Rented Housing Panel
(Applications and Determinations) (Scotland) Regulations 2007 SSI No 173.
http://www.prhpscotland.gov.uk/prhp/files/B53017_PRHP%20landlords.pdf

Amongst this is details of Smoke Detection which includes any new or replacement detector having mains powered with battery backup detectors fitted for all new tenancies after Sept 2007.
http://www.prhpscotland.gov.uk/prhp/files/A%20note%20on%20SmokeAlarms-revised%20version.pdf

If they are already fitted then you can have mains OR battery.

It also says that multiple alarms must be linked. Which is why I started looking at this subject, I have a detector in the living room and outside of the bedrooms but they are not linked. The easiest way for me to do this would be to use wireless detectors, but at £60 each thats a £120. Has anyone else done this?

jeffrey
12-04-2009, 17:12 PM
I believe that if you are letting a property out in Scotland
Is it in Scotland, though?

Bel
13-04-2009, 08:28 AM
In England:

Even if the building is not a HMO, who ever is responsible for the communal areas must get a risk assessment done by law , by a competant person, and act on it. The fire service will be only interested in the communal area and will tell you to get it risk assessed. They will not do it for you.

You need to check what building regs approval the conversion has. If there are no mains smoke detectors then it probably hasn't been done to standard anyway.

If the conversion is not to 1991 standard then the building will be a HMO even if each flat is occupied by only 2 people. But it will not require a standard mandatory licence unless accomodation on the 3rd storey has 5 or more unrelated persons in one self contained flat.

And if it is a HMO, ask your council HMO officer what they expect within the flat.

Karen
12-10-2009, 16:10 PM
Hello All

I've found this site a great resource as I build my knowledge to perform my landlord's duties to the best of my ability - thanks to all for sharing their knowledge and experience.

On reviewing the fire regulations and requirements I've found this document that others may find useful for tenants:

http://direct.gov.uk/en/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_074034.pdf

My property is a top floor split level (flat contains 3 levels, sleeping accommodation on the lower and upper level in the eaves of the house) 2-bed converted flat in a Victorian building. The lease was created in March 1993 but it is likely that the actual conversion took place in 1992. Currently installed is 1 smoke detector on the lower floor, which is not connected to the mains.

My questions:

Should I supply fire alarms on the other 2 levels of the property
Should any/or all be connected to the mains or are battery operated smoke alarms sufficient
I will supply a carbon monoxide alarm(s) - how many and where should they be sited
As a top floor flat the main means of escape is through the front door - should I provide some kind of ladder for alternative means of escape

I'm going to contact a Fire Prevention Officer but in the meantime if anybody has experience of the above, I'd be glad to hear it. Thanks!

We have recently had some confusing messages from Environmental Health. We fitted smoke alarms upstairs and down ( terraced house, not HMO) that are connected by bell wire. Environmental health said they were not satisfactory and needed 10 year batteries (which we were unable to source at the time) We arranged for the fire brigade to visit and inspect, and fit new alarms and were told that the alarms we fitted were up to standard and were the ones they would have fitted. Environmental health say they can enforce us to change them. I am confused as I thought we would get the best advice from the Fire Brigade. Obviously I want my tenant to be safe but I cannot find out exactly what we should do