PDA

View Full Version : Banning lodgers boyfriend?

Shadowcat
16-01-2009, 18:04 PM
Hi all, I have been reading the posts on here and the advice offered seems very concise so I was wondering if you could help advise with a problem I'm having at the moment...

I have a female lodger (on a license). When she moved in I advised that she was permitted to have guests in the house. Her boyfriend showed up after a couple of days and stayed overnight, initially no problem.

More recently he has been staying every night and now has his washing stuff in the bathroom, cereal in the kitchen etc etc. When I said that my lodger could have guests I did not intend this and I feel she is clearly taking the piss. I was annoyed but let it slide recently as I have other things to deal with at the moment and they spent most of their time in the room she uses.

Yesterday whilst I was away from the house I got a text from the female saying the toilet was blocked and I should call a plumber. I enquired as to who blocked it as I feel that people should take responsibility for their actions. Shortly after this I recieved a phonecall from the boyfriend which lasted about 45 minutes and was essentially a constant stream of abuse. I remained totally calm, didn't swear or rise to anything he said.

Obviously I won't put up with this behaviour from a guest in my house with absolutly no rights to the property; when I return on Sunday I intend to give him 1 hour to collect his posessions and after that I will make it clear that I do not want him to enter the property ever again.

I have a few questions relating to this....

1) What can I do if he does not leave or damages anything?
2) Are my actions fully reasonable?
3) Obviously the female will be extremely unhappy about this and I fully expect her to seek alternative accom,odation, I will verbally release her from the 28 days period required in the license, is this ok?
4) Is there anything that could be done to prevent her sneaking him in?

Any advice / comments etc are more than welcome!

PaulF
16-01-2009, 18:13 PM
1) What can I do if he does not leave or damages anything? Call the police maybe as he is an intruder/trespasser; they might say it's a civil matter but I don't think so.
2) Are my actions fully reasonable? It's your house and nobody has right of occupancy or entry.
3) Obviously the female will be extremely unhappy about this and I fully expect her to seek alternative accom,odation, I will verbally release her from the 28 days period required in the license, is this ok? Is it in writing? She might want to stay for 28 days if that's the notice period you have agreed with your lodger
4) Is there anything that could be done to prevent her sneaking him in? Yes! Tell her she's in breach of your conditions of her being a lodger and you could ask them both to vacate immediately.I would be inclined to try and be diplomatic but you do have the upper hand.

Poppy
16-01-2009, 18:15 PM
I have lodgers. Before deciding to let rooms to individuals, I make it perfectly clear that the room is for the lodger alone. In my home the lodger is permitted occasional guests who must leave by 10pm. It is then up to the lodger to decide if they want to live under such conditions.

In the absence of constraints from the outset, simply inform your lodger that the boyfriend is no longer welcome in your home. Let her decide if she wants to continue to live in your home.

It's your home. What you decide, prevails.

Shadowcat
16-01-2009, 18:18 PM
Thanks for that. I'm not interested in discussing things with him due to how offensive he was (unprovoked) and I feel if I came to a 'solution' then he might feel he had the upper hand and would take the piss further.

The 28 days notice is in writing.. .however I don't believe she actually signed the agreement (my fault due to inexperience). However I would believe that we have a license due to her conduct in paying the sum which is discussed in writing on the license. I suppose that could be argued both ways. If she wanted to stay in the house 28 days or more I would have no problem with that as I have no argument with her... but I strongly suspect she won't.

If the boyfriend refused to leave and the police weren't interested what would be my options?

PaulF
16-01-2009, 18:21 PM
If the boyfriend refused to leave and the police weren't interested what would be my options?I would insist they attend.

Shadowcat
16-01-2009, 18:23 PM
Ok, thanks for the advise guys I will report back on how it goes!

This is something I will definitely learn from.

Shadowcat
19-01-2009, 18:47 PM
Update for everybody !

I arrived home yesterday to find the kitchen floor flooding, a radiator had mysteriously sprung a leak at one of the valves, its 8mm piping and it looked crooked where it entered the valve. I can't help but feel that it is a grand coincidence.

To avoid calling out an emergency plumber on a Sunday night I decided to have a go at fixing the leak myself and managed to block it for the evening which gave me time to get materials and fix it myself today...

I had the 'discussion' with the lodger and her partner, thanked them for managing to unlock the toilet and then calmly stated that because of how the bf spoke to me and dealt with the situation he would be no longer welcome in the house and should leave after 30 mins to pack his things.

He refused several times and started getting argumentative so I left the room and phoned the police who were very helpful. The couple then came along again and whilst the lodger sat and was very quiet, the boyfriend proceeded to get more and more agitated, arguing about absolute rubbish with all the 'I know my rights' chat. Eventually he decided that he didn't need to leave unless taken to court and so they went back to the room that the lodger currently occupies....

Police arrived and after a few questions and detail takings they removed him and were very good in the entire process. I felt embarassed and ashamed for having to call them for something like this but I had no choice. Obviously the lodger will now be moving out but the loss in revenue is more than worth it.

Thanks again for the advice here and I hope people in the future who have lodgers can benefit from this thread in some way!

Charlesstunts
19-01-2009, 19:06 PM
Update for everybody !

I arrived home yesterday to find the kitchen floor flooding, a radiator had mysteriously sprung a leak at one of the valves, its 8mm piping and it looked crooked where it entered the valve. I can't help but feel that it is a grand coincidence.

To avoid calling out an emergency plumber on a Sunday night I decided to have a go at fixing the leak myself and managed to block it for the evening which gave me time to get materials and fix it myself today...

I had the 'discussion' with the lodger and her partner, thanked them for managing to unlock the toilet and then calmly stated that because of how the bf spoke to me and dealt with the situation he would be no longer welcome in the house and should leave after 30 mins to pack his things.

He refused several times and started getting argumentative so I left the room and phoned the police who were very helpful. The couple then came along again and whilst the lodger sat and was very quiet, the boyfriend proceeded to get more and more agitated, arguing about absolute rubbish with all the 'I know my rights' chat. Eventually he decided that he didn't need to leave unless taken to court and so they went back to the room that the lodger currently occupies....

Police arrived and after a few questions and detail takings they removed him and were very good in the entire process. I felt embarassed and ashamed for having to call them for something like this but I had no choice. Obviously the lodger will now be moving out but the loss in revenue is more than worth it.

Thanks again for the advice here and I hope people in the future who have lodgers can benefit from this thread in some way!

Unfortunately I think you should be very vigilant. Given the past behaviour and the fact that the lodger is still there all be it moving out soon I think the boyfriend will make some effort to have the last say. Take photographs of the house before she moves out. And on the day she moves out have a witness there to go over the inventory and note any damages! Good luck.

Shadowcat
19-01-2009, 20:21 PM
Thanks for that, I think you are right and will be taking your advice. The radiator was pretty suspicious and they had not done anything about it, I found out from somebody else who had the good sense to put some towels down!

mind the gap
19-01-2009, 20:24 PM
Thanks for the update, Shadowcat. It;s always interesting and useful to know how these things are resolved. Charlesstunts is right though - probably best not to park your car too near the prop for a while.