PDA

View Full Version : Chewing gum on carpets - removal?

mind the gap
11-01-2009, 17:15 PM
Please, does anyone out there know of a effective method of removing chewing gum from carpets (without damaging the carpet)?

jta
11-01-2009, 17:32 PM
You are best to try to freeze the mucky stuff and then break it into particles for your vac. to suck up. One way to do this is to use butane gas (without lighting it) from one of those soldering type guns that plumbers use. Needless to say, the gas is highly inflammable, explosively so, but it would work. A safer alternative would be a canister of nitrogen gas, providing you can sort out a controllable way to apply it where needed. Other methods I have heard about include the use of dry ice to achieve the same result. You have to pretty careful with any methods involving freezing or you could frostbite your fingers.
And that is a serious post by the way, just in case you think I'm pulling your leg.

mind the gap
11-01-2009, 17:47 PM
And that is a serious post by the way, just in case you think I'm pulling your leg.

Now why on earth would I think that?:rolleyes:

Cheers, Big Ears!

Sounds fun. Suppose I'd better get the tenants out of the way first?

jta
11-01-2009, 17:49 PM
Especially if they are Smokers, They'd be quite blown away by that method. :rolleyes:

mind the gap
11-01-2009, 17:53 PM
Especially if they are Smokers

Now that is one loathsome habit which I do not allow in my properties. (I have a range of devious methods to find out whether they are smokers or not before I let them near a contract!)

Ericthelobster
11-01-2009, 17:57 PM
You are best to try to freeze the mucky stuff and then break it into particles for your vac. to suck up. One way to do this is to use butane gas (without lighting it) from one of those soldering type guns that plumbers use. Needless to say, the gas is highly inflammable, explosively so, but it would work.You have got to be kidding! I agree with freezing the stuff, but I have to say that using butane within a house to do this would be incredibly irresponsible!

However there's other plumber's kit that would do the necessary: you can get pipe-freezing kits which work using nitrogen (I think - certainly not a flammable gas anyway!) See http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13369/Plumbing/Pipe-Freezing-Kits/Pipe-Freezing-Kit-220ml.

Also available at the chemists for wart removal I believe....

mind the gap
11-01-2009, 17:59 PM
However there's other plumber's kit that would do the necessary: you can get pipe-freezing kits which work using nitrogen (I think - certainly not a flammable gas anyway!) See http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13369/Plumbing/Pipe-Freezing-Kits/Pipe-Freezing-Kit-220ml.

Also available at the chemists for wart removal I believe....

Thanks Eric. (To be fair, I think jta did suggest nitrogen as a safer option).

That's good. Perhaps could make a bit of money on the side, freezing the tenants' warts off, as well as sorting the bloody carpet out.

How much do you reckon I could charge per wart?

jta
11-01-2009, 18:01 PM
Well I wasn't kidding and I did point out the dangers, not being a plumber I don't know about those pipe freezing kits, they sound ideal for the job. My Insurance Company will be glad I've found out about them. :D

Paul_f
11-01-2009, 18:23 PM
I have a range of devious methods to find out whether they are smokers or not before I let them near a contract!Interesting point. Unfortunately although I agree entirely with your sentiments, it's apparently very difficult to enforce. A clause within the AST saying thou shall not smoke is unlikely to work as it apparently breaches their "yuman" rights!. It should be done by mutual agreement and placed under a Separately Negotiated Terms section to be properly effective, rather than in the main body of terms.

mind the gap
11-01-2009, 18:56 PM
Interesting point. Unfortunately although I agree entirely with your sentiments, it's apparently very difficult to enforce. A clause within the AST saying thou shall not smoke is unlikely to work as it apparently breaches their "yuman" rights!. It should be done by mutual agreement and placed under a Separately Negotiated Terms section to be properly effective, rather than in the main body of terms.

Really?

It's the complusory video of the 35 year old man coughing up bits of his rotting lungs, followed by the footage of his autopsy, which always gets 'em.

Although, as intimated above, I select my tenants in such a way as to ensure they are not smokers in the first place. I have my ways!

jta
11-01-2009, 19:41 PM
Really?
I select my tenants in such a way as to ensure they are not smokers in the first place. I have my ways!

Does it involve a cauldron and newts tails? :rolleyes:

mind the gap
11-01-2009, 19:44 PM
Does it involve a cauldron and newts tails? :rolleyes:

No newts are ever harmed in the making of my tenancy contracts!

jta
11-01-2009, 19:48 PM
So there is a cauldron then. Is there any exotic dancing going on? What's Trevor doing while you are investigating? So many questions, so close to bedtime.

mind the gap
11-01-2009, 20:11 PM
So there is a cauldron then. Is there any exotic dancing going on? What's Trevor doing while you are investigating? So many questions, so close to bedtime.

1 No
2 No
3 Having a swift smoke out the back

jta
11-01-2009, 20:16 PM
Ah! I think I've identified your Trevor.

http://www.google.co.uk/images?q=tbn:4I353l9FvIX7kM::www.euro-cig.com/gal_images/20070509210519.jpg

mind the gap
11-01-2009, 20:19 PM
Ah! I think I've identified your Trevor.

http://www.google.co.uk/images?q=tbn:4I353l9FvIX7kM::www.euro-cig.com/gal_images/20070509210519.jpg

Oh, good grief. You're nearly as bad as Rodent. Don't go there.

Trevor is much handsomer that that runty little fruit bat type creature. (The thing in the picture, I mean, not Rodent, whom I imagine to be the personification of unnaturalness).

jta
11-01-2009, 20:28 PM
Ahah! So Trevor's a Fat Cat

http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/1260/PreviewComp/SuperStock_1260-191.jpg

mind the gap
11-01-2009, 20:33 PM
Ahah! So Trevor's a Fat Cat

http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/1260/PreviewComp/SuperStock_1260-191.jpg

That's more like it!

bunny
11-01-2009, 20:52 PM
So is it possible to write "no chewing gum allowed in the property" into a tenancy agreement? Or is that a breach of human rights/an unfair term!

I had a chewing gum or playdough* or something of that description well and truly trodden into the carpets of a house in various places along with felt tip pen, biro etc. I thought my carpets were doomed but the carpet cleaner man did a superb job. I was very impressed and didn't replace any of them. Some very minor marks were left behind.

*think playdough is easier to get out and it probably was playdough as I had teddy shaped grease marks on the walls which I only identified as being so when I downloaded the photos and they stuck out like a sore thumb :rolleyes: