PDA

View Full Version : (Non) Inspection issues

Gigabyte
20-11-2008, 15:47 PM
Okay, so I have quite a big list of issues with my current landlord so I will try to just keep them to a minimum in this particular thread.

So I've lived with my partner in my flat for just over a year and have had nothing but issues with our current landlord. When we moved in (it was a refurb) and there was no sink, hotwater, or clean surfaces so we couldnt live there for the first week (though we still had to pay rent of course!) so a bad start, There have been issues with a rotten window that instead of being fixed has simply been bolted to the frame so it now doesnt open...

The landlords reply has always been "just move out" rather than anything constructive. A) I dont want to move out as I like the area and I'm close to family & friends and B) I cant afford to move - deposits are expensive and why should I move!?

ANYWAY, the real issue I have happend a couple of weeks ago. Our lovely neighbour downstairs from us had asked us if there any issues with our shower as he has been getting mold in his kitchen which is directly beneath our shower. Sure enough the seal around the base unit had corroded and needed replacing all the way around. A simple job which to be fair I probably could have done but wasnt willing to risk my DIY skills so we nagged the landlord for a couple of weeks to come out and fix it. Finally they send around some guys (after just calling my partner an hour before to advise of this) and all is fixed.

The next day I get home from work to find a letter shoved under our door advising us that the place was a mess and must be cleaned immediately. I was shocked because surely they shouldnt be looking at the cleanliness of the flat - all they had to do was go into our spotless bathroom and seal up the leak. Instead they mustve gone into the bedroom (the only place which is a mess as we are in the process of de-cluttering finally)

surely they cant demand we clean the place because A) It wasnt an inspection B) They didnt tell us via letter they were coming round thus giving us time to ensure the place was faultless and C) They obviously snooped in other rooms that they had no right to enter.

There are further issues with our fire alarm in that the buildings caretaker (an employee of the landlord) has entered our flat to check the sensors - only telling us he'd done this AFTER he had checked it. And we have issues with our refuse collection because the landlord keeps telling all us tenants to put our rubbish in the bins provided - which is one wheelie bin (for 8 flats!) we have asked for more bins but they say the council do not allow them to be provided.

My issue is which cleanliness inspections. Whilst I of course understand it is the responsiblity of the tenant to keep the property in order, I dont think its fair when they send letters demanding us to clean up when its not even that bad, - everything is clean its just clutter and everything is in working order.

jeffrey
20-11-2008, 15:51 PM
Cleaning and decluttering are entirely different.
You are contractually obliged to keep the property clean; but cluttering is in the eye of the beholder- if you like it that way, L cannot object.

Gigabyte
20-11-2008, 15:57 PM
aah another thing I wanted to add to this, was....Our inventory comments that the flat is a mess (it ACTUALLY) says that - that tiles,walls,windows etc, are all tarnished and the flat will be deep cleaned by the move in date of the tenant - Everything was dusty due to the refurbishment.

Needless to say the place wasnt, so we cleaned it ourselves as we would have done anyway for peace of mind. However Does this mean we can get away with leaving the place in a mess?

Also we never signed and returned our inventory because it was forwarded to us much later and we forgot about it. Is there any point in signing and returning it now?

P.Pilcher
20-11-2008, 15:59 PM
Well, you're between a rock and a hard place aren't you? If a tenant finds a landlord unsatisfactory then the best thing to do is to change properties to one managed by a landlord who takes his duties seriously. However, if you make too much fuss, you could well find yourself at the end of a section 21 notice and be obliged to move out anyway. As a landlord, I am not bothered as to how my tenants live or the state of tidynes of their homes. I only object when that lack of tidyness affects the condition of my property by causing damage to carpets, floors and walls due to uncleared up mess. But then I try to be reasonable: there are those who say that untidy home = untidy mind = potential property damage, and they have a point. Quite honestly, if you are intent on staying there, you will have to live a more tidy life, but I do think your landlord is being a bit unreasonable from what you say.

P.P.

mind the gap
20-11-2008, 16:47 PM
aah another thing I wanted to add to this, was....Our inventory comments that the flat is a mess (it ACTUALLY) says that - that tiles,walls,windows etc, are all tarnished and the flat will be deep cleaned by the move in date of the tenant - Everything was dusty due to the refurbishment.

Needless to say the place wasnt, so we cleaned it ourselves as we would have done anyway for peace of mind. However Does this mean we can get away with leaving the place in a mess?

Also we never signed and returned our inventory because it was forwarded to us much later and we forgot about it. Is there any point in signing and returning it now?

It was LL's responsibility to organise the inventory and ensure you signed it. The fact that he did not, (unless you signed a copy at some point which he has kept) means he now has no proof of the state of the property and its contents when you moved in. So when you moved out, yes, technically, you could leave it in a mess since he cannot prove it was not a mess to begin with.

RE dustbins. This is nonsense. Just ring you local council and tell them 8 flats are sharing one bin. Our student houses (with only 6 students) seem to qualify for 2 wheelie bins per house, but you have to ask.

Technically I think the person who pays the council tax has to ask, but you might as well do it yourself.

I think LL has been unreasonable in entering without your permission, snooping around and picking fault on the basis of that snooping. It's your home...I'd prefer my properties to be kept pristine, too, but I'm realistic enough not to expect it except at the inspections. (He should have a look in some student houses and stare squalor in the eye!)

Gigabyte
21-11-2008, 09:47 AM
thanks for the info guys,

I will contact our council re the bins, and see what they say.

It was just a bit of a kick in the teeth them sending us a letter when we are clean people and basically the only time the flat is in a slight disorder is the time they decide to come round, I suppose its all murphys law. It's just irritating when we only rented this flat based on the excellent experience we had with the lettings agency in the past. - This time they are not doing the property management, the LL is who has quite a lot of properties and is very much of the persuasion that he can get anyone to fill it.

lessons learnt.