PDA

View Full Version : Seasonal question

susan 2
22-12-2005, 13:14 PM
Hi - was talking to another landlord the other day, and I mentioned that I always send my tenants Christmas cards. He looked at me as though I was crazy and said he would not dream of doing that. So what do other forum members do? I should point out that the rest of the year we are very business like and do not make friends of our tenants.(or enemies hopefully) I suppose that I think at Christmas a bit of good will does not go amiss.

P.S. Happy Christmas to all!

Day
22-12-2005, 13:24 PM
I've always tried to build up a good rapport with my tenants, so sending Christmas cards is a great way to do this.
My first lot of tenants were a lovely family, and always enjoyed me popping in when i was back in the UK for a cup of tea and a chat, so i would send them postcards from time to time.
My other tenants have been filthy, awkward or damaging my property in some way, so no way would they get one.
So my opinion is, good tenants, yes, bad tenants no to the cards!

Deedy1
22-12-2005, 13:27 PM
What a lovely landlady you are Susan2! Being a tenant, I for one, would be very pleased to receive a Christmas card from our Landlord/Agent but have only ever done so once, and we had a great relationship with that landlord, he even moved all our property from the North to Surrey when we moved out. We looked after him and he looked after us - a two way street. Your matey maybe needs to take a leaf out of your book, and he may find that it would be appreciated in a similar way to the above, after all we are human beings us tenants and some of us are pretty decent!

Merry Christmas!

Deedy

dazalock
22-12-2005, 14:26 PM
I allways leave a couple of bottles of wine on the door steps.

:D

magic.genie
22-12-2005, 14:53 PM
Always to the neighbours too on both sides, with a mobile phone number added in case they need it.

Alex

Deedy1
22-12-2005, 16:03 PM
What sarcastic buggers you are dazalock and magic genie!

Deedy

dazalock
22-12-2005, 16:17 PM
No .... I really do!

Deedy1
22-12-2005, 16:25 PM
Honestly??? You don't have properties in the Surrey area do you, cos if you do, I'll move in tomorrow!! Me, hubby and nine year old daughter. Both me and hubby are professionals (though the way we are treated sometimes you wouldn't think so!) and are renting until we decide if we want to stay or emigrate to Oz. If you are in this area I'd be VERY interested!! Good on you - you have restored my faith somewhat!

Deedy

RichieP
22-12-2005, 16:27 PM
I popped in to see out tenants this weekend whilst in London. They gave me a card and a bottle of wine. I felt really bad about not giving them anything.http://www.iamviet.com/forum/images/smilies/smilie_yellow_icon_redface.gif

P.Pilcher
22-12-2005, 16:39 PM
I received a lovely Christmas card today ...................... from my Corgi registered gas man. With it were two landlords gas safety certificates - and a large invoice!

P.P.

dazalock
22-12-2005, 16:52 PM
Sorry, Bournemouth only ... LOL at P.Pilcher, maybe Ill enclose a S13 and a S21 in my Christmas cards, just to keep upto date!!!

It does work to be nice .... One of my tenants put his own rent up by £20 the other day!!!!!

Deedy1
22-12-2005, 17:21 PM
Shame about that Dazalock as there don't appear to be too many of your kind in this area! What a star tenant - bless!

Great seasonal banter!

Deedy

Poj McDodge
22-12-2005, 18:12 PM
The wife and I delivered cards to our tennants and one ex tennant last night and from one family we received a gift for our five month old son.

tina v
22-12-2005, 18:24 PM
Well Dazlock, must be the Dorset way of doing business as we are Swanage based and undertake the same niceties at this time of year regardless of the landlord/tenant relationship (we've had good times and we've had bad times within the same tenant relationship). Our theory is that we both need to co-exist as amicably as possible and that if you give respect you are more likely to receive it!!
However I do realise from reading this Forum that we have been very lucky with our tenants and this might therefore sound a little naive to some landlords.........

magic.genie
22-12-2005, 18:58 PM
< What sarcastic buggers you are dazalock and magic genie! Deedy >

Hey!! I'm serious too.

Alex

Ericthelobster
22-12-2005, 19:52 PM
Interesting thread... I've wondered about this too, but have always decided against doing it as I've felt it might be perceived as trying to be a bit too 'matey', and thus potentially making it more awkward when it comes to playing Mr Nasty and issuing eviction notices etc. Maybe I should reconsider.

Same thought processes when they move in - do I leave a bottle of wine in the kitchen as a house-warming gift? Not because I'm a nice guy, you understand!, but purely selfishly, with a view to getting the relationship off to a good start and making the tenant feel I'm an OK bloke and easy to deal with... Answer - no I don't do it, because I worry that instead they'll think I'm a soft touch, or a bit creepy?!

Deedy1
22-12-2005, 20:25 PM
Sorry Alex! I honestly thought it was too good to be true! Wish all you nice guys were in my area that's all I can say!

We still keep in touch with one previous LL (his cousin is Ricky Hattan the boxer!) Really nice chap.

Ericthelobster - I would not think it creepy if you left me a bottle of wine as a moving in present - I'd think it was a lovely thoughtful gesture and you would get me on your side immediately, so I would not be inclined to cause you uneccessary problems in the future. I think tenants and landlords can be matey - not to the extreme, but it can certainly work if there is mutual respect from the outset, something that is sadly lacking in Surrey at the moment!

Deedy

justaboutsane
22-12-2005, 21:41 PM
We usually send Christmas cards to our tenants and I enclose a letter informing them of when we are around and the emergancy numbers they need to call if they have a problem... Have not done it this year though has been rather hectic!... But then I have not even sent any personal ones yet :cool:

Happy Christmas to all and a Prosperous New Year by the way :D

ourlol
23-12-2005, 08:51 AM
Yes, I also send a Christmas Card (and, I hasten to add, receive one back) to my 'lads'. I also popped some Blockbuster vouchers inside. I didn't think of wine, but then as students they don't need any encouragement!!

Laura

susan 2
23-12-2005, 12:52 PM
Many thanks for all the replies and nice words Deedy 1.

Tina - I do not think you are naive, I work in exactly the same way. If a good tenant/landlord relationship can be kept going it saves a great deal of hassle and expense. If taking the time to send cards helps that, then it is worth it. Sometimes reading this forum, I think that many people watch these "Tenant/Landlord from Hell" type tv programmes, and believe that is how every letting is going to be. Wear as in practise 95% are trouble free.

Mind I do not go as far as wine. With 15 flats it would be a bit expensive!

Mr. Shed - where are you? I missed your input - and I am not being sarcastic. As a tenant I would have liked to have known how you thought re cards. Merry Christmas

magic.genie
23-12-2005, 18:21 PM
< We still keep in touch with one previous LL (his cousin is Ricky Hattan the boxer!) Really nice chap. >

I was in a bar on Saturday in Manchester and Ricky Hatton was there, even didn't mind a mobile phone photo opportunity, top nice guy he is.

(-:

MrShed
23-12-2005, 22:46 PM
Lol sorry susan :p just didn't think I had anything to bring to it! I have always gone through letting agents and have never even met a single one of my landlords, and have never had a card off either LLs or LAs. I however think it is a nice thing to do, just a little reminder to tenants that landlords are human :)

lawstudent
24-12-2005, 00:10 AM
I just moved into a new flat where the LL had decked the hall with boughs of holly and left me a bottle of champagne. When I put it in the fridge (the champagne, that is, not the holly) I discovered he'd also provided a turkey and a Christmas pudding. The bathroom was full of maids-a-milking and there were hens-a-laying in my bed but I suppose you have to take the rough with the smooth. Have a cool yule everyone :D

Deedy1
30-12-2005, 09:12 AM
Yes Magic Genie, he is a top man, but you wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley! Out of the ring he's a real sweetheart! We met him when Stuart (our ex LL) took us to one of his matches in Manchester! Why don't any of these wonderful LL's live around here?!!!

Wishing you and all a very happy and prosperous New Year!

Deedy