PDA

View Full Version : "Office closing for Christmas, please pay early"

adpucci
14-12-2005, 12:56 PM
Hello,

I received a letter dated 02 December, in which the agents from which I am renting say "our office will be closing over Christmas (23rd December-3rd January).

Your next rental payment is due on 25/12/05. Please make payment to our office before closing hours; if you make your payment by standing order you will have to change your date to 17th December. Please refer to your lease for overdue rental payments and charges".

I pay by Direct Debit, not standing order, so they control that. plus, I really do not see why it should be my problem if they go on holiday.

In any case, are they right or wrong, please?

Thanks in advance.

Pucci

Energise
14-12-2005, 13:05 PM
Is it any wonder why agents get slagged of so much!!

Its wrong, its ridiculous.

"Please refer to your lease for overdue rental payments and charges"

Ignore that as well.

adpucci
14-12-2005, 13:09 PM
Is it any wonder why agents get slagged of so much!!

Its wrong, its ridiculous.

"Please refer to your lease for overdue rental payments and charges"

Ignore that as well.

thanks, you cheer me up. my dislike for these particular agents is so intense that I feared I might be prejudiced, but I thought it was ridiculous, too.

caroline7758
14-12-2005, 15:40 PM
Presumably you've thought of checking with the bank when the DD will go out- I don't think they canpay out on a Sunday?

adpucci
14-12-2005, 16:06 PM
Presumably you've thought of checking with the bank when the DD will go out- I don't think they canpay out on a Sunday?

Hi Caroline, the agents have set up the direct debit to go out 3 working days before the due date. in the case of December, the date has been set to 20th, so that they will receive the payment on the first working day before the holiday (which is also a Sunday).

As I said, since it is a direct debit I cannot really amend it anyway, but the agents' cowboy techniques are quite astonishing (the majority of their tenants are students, possibly hapless?).

P.Pilcher
14-12-2005, 16:15 PM
Of course you could also reply in the same vein and state that due to the absence of banking payment facilities on the date that the rent is due, it will be made available in cash. Then you ask for them to arrange a mutually convenient appointment on the 25th. December for the cash to be collected and a receipt issued. If they are unable to comply with this facility, arranged to ensure that rent is paid when due, rent will be paid on the first date that banking facilities once again become available after the public holiday.

P.P.

Jennifer_M
14-12-2005, 17:30 PM
It is more than likely a "standard" letter that has gone out to all their tenants who might be paying by SO, in cash, by cheque etc.

I wouldn't take offence.

If you are worried about the "overdue charges" just give the agent a call to make things clear.

PaulF
15-12-2005, 17:02 PM
What you have to do is refer to your AST where it should state the terms on how rent payment is to be made:

If is just states "monthly in advance" then you don't have to pay it until 25th, and you can put a cheque through the agent's door even if they are closed.
If is says "monthly in advance by direct debit" then it shouldn't leave your bank until 23 December and you can direct your bank to make sure of this.
I would also advise changing from direct debit to standing order if there is nothing about paying rent like this in the AST, unless it was part of any agency terms you were given in writing before you signed the tenancy. SO's give you much more control over your money.