PDA

View Full Version : Agent holding back on repairs

Boris
14-12-2005, 10:39 AM
Hello,

I have rented the same property for nearly two years. 18 months into the tenancy my husband was made redundant & despite his best efforts was uable to find another job. Once all our savings had gone we ended up in arrears & were advised to apply for housing benefit, which we did and are now in receipt of.

The tenancy agreement expired after the first year of the tenancy & was not renewed, in August there was a posession hearing & the landlord agreed for us to stay on the basis that the arrears were cleared and that we covered the cost of the Barrister (£1800) The arrears were not cleared within the timescale but the LL agreed not to execute the possession order for the time being, due to the housing benefit. (for this we are of course most grateful).

At the beginning of the tenancy, we were promised that the hob would be replaced as was only half operable, this was never done. We have also reported various plumbing issues which have not been attended to (all prior to falling into arrears) Now, we are told that these issues will be dealt with when the arrears have been cleared. Apart from the fact that constantly running water behind various walls & the toilet having flooded due to the concrete base cracking is very annoying, I would have thought that the agent would want to rectify these things before they turn into something more serious & costly. I'll live with it if I have to but is the landlord/agent under any kind of obligation to maintain the plumbing? I certainly don't want to rock the boat (although I may find it's the only way from the kitchen to the front door at this rate) but equally, I don't want to find I have to move out in six months when the house falls down.

Apologies for the long post & also for any spelling or grammatical errors ;)

P.S. in addition a Gas Safety certificate was refused 6 months ago as there is no access to the shut off from the house (is behind a kitchen cupboard with no access panel)

RichieP
14-12-2005, 12:08 PM
P.S. in addition a Gas Safety certificate was refused 6 months ago as there is no access to the shut off from the house (is behind a kitchen cupboard with no access panel) http://www.diegotorres.com.ar/mensajeitor/foro/caritas/erstaunt090.gif

I like how you put that bit at then end. That's illegal. What's gone on with the arrears is irrelevant and shouldn't be used against you if repairs need carrying out. You need to contact the environmental health department at your local council now. No not later, NOW!

Your agent could also have put himself in a potentially difficult situation by renegotiating with you regarding paying your arrears. Once a court order is set, it can only be changed by reapplying to the court. The agent has potentailly created a new tenancy with you, and can only be ended by going through the court again.