PDA

View Full Version : Tenant lied and keeps a loaded gun

stadelmannrobert
12-12-2005, 16:52 PM
We rented a room in our home to a roomate. He lied about his alcoholism and has frequent pancratic attacks caused by alcohol. After an emergency trip to the hospital, I discovered, taking his belongings into his room, that there is a loaded shotgun and additional amonution at his night stand.

Question 1:May I unload the gun?
2:May I disable the gun?
3:May I take the amo away?
4:Can I evict him on the grounds of bringing a gun into the house
and because of his lying?
5: Do I have to give notice?

P.Pilcher
12-12-2005, 16:57 PM
Sounds to me as though he is a lodger and, as such, has no security of tenure at all. You can ask him to leave without giving him any notice if you want. I suggest you contact the police about his gun. It certainly needs to be licensed and one of the requirements, I believe, is that it be kept in a locked cabinet.

P.P.

Ericthelobster
12-12-2005, 17:25 PM
there is a loaded shotgun and additional amonution at his night standYou wouldn't be based in the USA by any chance?? (This is a UK forum...)

charger
14-12-2005, 07:47 AM
Eritchelobster i know exactly what you mean by that ...
have you had tenants there too ? i gave up after 3 months doing business with certain tenants based in Usa.

Stadselmanrobert

I am waiting for the same answer at the moment . I got more or less your same case . Did you ask your tenant to leave immediately ? That's what i have done myself too, but up to now nothing has happened yet .. he don't want to leave ..
I am wondering if the law is slow in these cases, what can a landlord do ?
I guess forced eviction will be unlawfull and too much to bear with, even in cases like this ...

bonez
14-12-2005, 10:23 AM
We rented a room in our home to a roomate....taking his belongings into his room, that there is a loaded shotgun and additional amonution at his night stand.

Question:
1:May I unload the gun?
2:May I disable the gun?
3:May I take the amo away?
4:Can I evict him on the grounds of bringing
a gun into the house and because of his lying?
5:Do I have to give notice?

First of all be careful whenever handleing a weapon especially a loaded one, even if you are experienced wit handleing firearms it still might be best not to handle the weapon as you dont know what it has been used for in the past, it is my advice that you lock the room that it's in until you can obtain professional help to assist you in the correct way.

Additionally conducting a criminal act within the premises can be enough to evict without notice if other member of dwelling are put at immediate risk.

All the best be safe,
bonez