PDA

View Full Version : Subletting is possible ? Tenants of tenants ?

charger
07-12-2005, 14:21 PM
Few months ago i rented out a 3 bed property to two High qualified technicians, and have never had any problems, as they have paid the rent on time and keep the place in a very nice shape.
They never complained about anything and the only question asked was if they could bring in friends some times, which is natural and right.

Yesterday i received a call from a person claiming to be a tenant living in my 3 beds property. He was angry at me because I didn't want to return his deposit to him. ?????? :confused: hang on !!

We meet, and I asked him to explain me the situation, and found out that he had rented a room in the house from the two technician (my real tenants) by signing an Ast for six months, and eventually after 3 months when he decided to go, they didn't give him the deposit back because he left before the six months contract expired. They told him, if he had any question he should speak with the owner of the house : ME
Now, apart from all this my question is :
- What happens in Sub-Letting is it legal ?
- Are the main Tenants allowed to Sub-Let the house by the room ?
- And if so, do the tenants of the main tenants, lose any rights if somehting wrong should happen ?
- Am I liable for it ?

nivea
07-12-2005, 17:21 PM
i m curious about the outcome of this type of situation as well>>>~~~ :confused:

charger
07-12-2005, 20:01 PM
me too, just waiting for somebody who knows more about this ....

charger
07-12-2005, 21:12 PM
I do agree with what you said, and indeed i do have an Ast which forbids the subletting, however i still do not know if that can be legal and who's responsible towards the tenants of the tenants ?
I rent my entire house to sb else to later find out that the same people i rented the house to, have rented it to sb else and ask for more money than i ask.
I don't really care for how much they make per month, as long as they pay for what i ask for, but i guess if a problems arises i will only have responsability towards the tenants i firstly rented the property to, as i don't know the sesond one .

Energise
07-12-2005, 21:34 PM
Now, apart from all this my question is :
- What happens in Sub-Letting is it legal ?

It is legal

- Are the main Tenants allowed to Sub-Let the house by the room ?

If you have not disallowed it in your agreement yes.

- And if so, do the tenants of the main tenants, lose any rights if somehting wrong should happen ?

They were effectively your tenants lodger.

- Am I liable for it ?

No

You have no relationship with him/her at all.

charger
07-12-2005, 21:49 PM
Thank you energise.
I am going to speak to the main tenants, to give him back the deposit or part of it, as the guy just didn't know how things work in london and generally in ukYes, on the Ast it is written not to sublet the rooms, but that was intended to be for houses rented by Hmo.
The main tenants told me that it is a different case when you rent the entire house.
Well, it could be so too. I'll check tomorrow anyway .

Energise
07-12-2005, 22:03 PM
Thank you energise.
I am going to speak to the main tenants, to give him back the deposit or part of it,

It really isn't anything to do with you, you should just let this other person know the situation and let him and your tenants sort it out.

as the guy just didn't know how things work in london and generally in ukYes, on the Ast it is written not to sublet the rooms, but that was intended to be for houses rented by Hmo.
The main tenants told me that it is a different case when you rent the entire house.

They are wrong.

Well, it could be so too. I'll check tomorrow anyway .

If everything else with them is going well, I cant see why you don't allow them to take a lodger and just explain that it is their lodger and they are responsible for their lodgers actions & behaviour.