PDA

View Full Version : Smashed window. Advice neede.

Mark T
06-12-2005, 16:06 PM
My tenant phoned me yesterday to say that one of the windows had broken. The tenant said the window was stiff and when she had shut it the window smashed. When I inspected it it looks like the window has been slammed shut and smashed. The window is single glazed. Is this my responsibility? If I had known the window was stiff I would have got someone to look at it. The tenants have never mentioned it to me and they do have some bunk beds placed right next to the window.

All advice appreciated.

Poppy
06-12-2005, 16:31 PM
I am assuming that you have buildings insurance in place. Check your policy. Fixed glass (ie windows) is normally covered. Claim on your insurance. However if the cost of pane of glass is not much more than the excess - then pay to fix it yourself and keep a claim-free record.

Mark T
06-12-2005, 16:47 PM
Is it my responsibility? Why should I pay for the window if it is the tenants fault. I need to know where I stand.

Poppy
06-12-2005, 16:58 PM
Do you have any reason to believe that this was NOT an accident? Have you examined the window? Are the tenants correct in saying that the window hinge is stiff (or is it a sash window)?

My advice is to give your tenants the benefit of the doubt. You do not seem to be suggesting that these tenants are troublesome. So what's the issue here?

dazalock
06-12-2005, 17:08 PM
Its thier responsibility

If they knew it was stiff, they needed to inform you of this before they smashed it, no good in retrospect. They should pay for the replacement glass, you should have the "stiffness" sorted.

PaulF
08-12-2005, 22:57 PM
Just read this thread. Dazalock is wrong! If a window doesn't fit properly then the landlord has no grounds to blame the tenant.