PDA

View Full Version : Landlord ending fixed term tenancy

laperla
06-12-2005, 11:44 AM
I'm the landlord and I have been renting my house through an agent for the last 4 months. The 6 month fixed term tenancy ends at the end of January 2006.

I don't have the tenancy agreement to hand as its at home but I'll check it tonight.

In conversation with the agent yesterday, I mentioned that we were looking forward to the tenants moving out at the end of January because we are ready to move back in ourselves. However the agent has said we can't do that because we have to give the tenant 2 momths notice plus 3 days to serve the notice.

So whilst this is inconvenient, its not the end of the world. But I want to know if this is correct as I was under the impression that a fixed term tenancy was just that.

Thanks
Laperla

MrShed
06-12-2005, 11:48 AM
No you must give 2 months notice - it is called a Section 21. Of course, this is only required if the tenants are not willing to leave. The agent should have notified you well before this now though really.

laperla
06-12-2005, 11:56 AM
Thanks for your advice MrShed.

On a more humerous note, in fact the reason I was talking to the agent yesterday, I recieved a bill from the agent for 6 pounds for a new toilet seat. I rang the agent out of curiousity yesterday to ask what was wrong with it as it was fine when we left it 4 months ago. Anyway he said that it needed replacing because of normal 'wear and tear'.

For 6 quid I'm not bothered but I do find it strange that a loo seat was replaced for those reasons. And even stranger that the tenant bothered to put a claim in for it when they pay 1200 pounds per month rent!

MrShed
06-12-2005, 12:02 PM
HAHA love those toilet seats breaking :)

Actually in my last rental property, the day we moved out the metal on the toilet seat fell apart :| so it does happen!

laperla
06-12-2005, 12:40 PM
Out of interest, when does the tenant have to let me know that they want to extend past the end of January (fixed term).

And does it make any difference that he paid for the whole 6 months up front (for a slight discount). So if he were to stay for another two weeks past the fixed term tenancy and leave when my two month notice period is up how much would he have to pay? The full rent (pro-rata) or the discounted amount he already has paid?

Thanks

MrShed
06-12-2005, 12:43 PM
the tenant does not have to let you know this at all....although it would of course be a good idea for them to do so. If nothing changes(ie no notice etc) then the tenancy just goes onto a periodic tenancy.

As to your other question, I am not sure. I would assume it would be the rent amount agreed in your AST, as you say pro-rata. Make sure you serve the S21 ASAP btw!

Energise
06-12-2005, 12:44 PM
Out of interest, when does the tenant have to let me know that they want to extend past the end of January (fixed term).

And does it make any difference that he paid for the whole 6 months up front (for a slight discount). So if he were to stay for another two weeks past the fixed term tenancy and leave when my two month notice period is up how much would he have to pay? The full rent (pro-rata) or the discounted amount he already has paid?

Thanks

1. He does not have to let you know, but you can ask.

2. The amount stated in the AST.

laperla
06-12-2005, 12:49 PM
Thanks once again.